LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Type Of Brake Fluid To Use

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Type Of Brake Fluid To Use

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

murphy1936
07-04-2014 @ 5:14 PM

1941 Ford. What type brake fluid should be used please thks all

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

trjford8
07-05-2014 @ 7:50 AM
Senior

murphy, is it a new system(new mc, lines, cylinders, etc)? Dot 5 is synthetic which is less maintenance over time. A little tougher to bleed and you have to make sure all the fittings are really tight to prevent weepage. You cannot mix any other type of fluid with Dot 5. Dot 4 is one step up from Dot 3 which is the standard fluid. I prefer the Dot 5, but my next choice would be Dot 4.You can mix 3 with 4.

1934 Ford
07-06-2014 @ 6:41 PM
Senior

Trjford8 is right, I 100% Agree.
We prepared a 1940 Ford Pickup for the 1984 Great American Race in 1984 and used DOT 5. That truck is still used regularly without any brake issues for over 30 years! Unfortunately the rules changed to 1936 & older for that and subsequent races, so the 40 never did it. Used a 34 Tudor with mechanicals instead.
I use D 5 in newer cars too, as directed in previous reply by trjford8.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 7-6-14 @ 6:42 PM

TomO
07-07-2014 @ 6:49 AM
Senior

I hope that you are not trying to use Dot 5 in cars with ABS. The ABS action can cause the DOT 5 to foam.

Tom

murphy 1941
07-07-2014 @ 11:51 AM

Don't know what kind is in the system. Doesn't appear to be a whole new system. What is ABS. That was mention by Tom? What do I do or do u suggest John

carcrazy
07-07-2014 @ 12:04 PM
Senior

I would only use DOT 3 brake fluid in the system. DOT 3 is the most common brake fluid used over the years and if your system has not been completely rebuilt the chances are good that DOT 3 is currently in there. If the car is an unknown to you, I would flush all of the current fluid out of the system via the brake wheel cylinder bleeder screws with new DOT 3 Brake Fluid. Before filling the system with new fluid make sure there are no leaks. Especially check the master cylinder, all of the wheel cylinders, and the flexible rubber hoses of the lines.

murphy 1941
07-07-2014 @ 1:05 PM

Don't know what kind is in the system. Doesn't appear to be a whole new system. What is ABS. That was mention by Tom? What do I do or do u suggest John

TomO
07-07-2014 @ 4:26 PM
Senior

Murphy, I am sorry, I should have directed my reply to 1934 Ford. ABS is used on modern cars to shorten stopping distance in slippery conditions.

DOT 5 brake fluid is purple and DOT 3 and 4 are clear. If you cannot tell what kind of fluid you have in the system, flush it with alcohol from the hardware or paint store and then rebuild the cylinders and fill the system with your choice of fluid.

If you have DOT 3 or 4 (clear fluid), you should flush the system every couple of years to remove the accumulated moisture in the fluid.

Tom

1934 Ford
07-10-2014 @ 5:37 AM
Senior

Tom O,
When I said I use Dot 5 in newer cars, I mean newer collector cars like my 66 VW and 81 El Camino. I may also point out that some in cars with a "ïdiot light" for brakes, the light won't recognize the Dot 5 and light up.
No, I would not try it with a ABS car.

1934 Ford's since 1972

misfit
07-27-2014 @ 8:21 PM

Make things simple use dot 3 and change it every few years Best Regards Len

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org