LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Front shocks on '40 Convertible

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Front shocks on '40 Convertible -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Arts40
02-09-2012 @ 10:52 AM

Ser # 5659974, sold June 27, 1940, 28K miles, always garaged, intact but unrestored & not running, body and frame metal in great condition. But it has tubular shocks in front, mounted to what look to be pressed steel bolted-on towers, all of which I suspect is an (early? factory authorized?) retrofit.
Am scoping out the project, and wondering whether to stick with this tube shock installation. Advice, anyone?

Stroker
02-09-2012 @ 12:29 PM
Senior

Well I'm not sure that they were "Ford Authorized", or if there really is such a term.
My 38 had them, and they were installed by our Ford dealer in the late 40's. In the interest of originality, I have replaced them with the correct Houdaille's. The upside is that it
is very easy to find modern replacements, and the downside is that they are not original.

Guess it depends on what your objective is. If it is to maintain originality, then they
should be replaced. It sounds like you have found a nice, original "gem", which a previous owner simply wished to improve upon. Share a photo with us, as original, un-restored cars
are very rare, and as others have said: "They are only original ONCE".

supereal
02-09-2012 @ 2:19 PM
Senior

While Dan and I generally agree, I have always believed that, if the lever action shocks were so good, they would not have been replaced by the tubular shocks that are still the standard choice today. Higher road speeds demand a better control than most Houdaille shocks can provide, even if they were in top shape, which most are not.

Stroker
02-09-2012 @ 3:48 PM
Senior

While Super and I "generally agree", and will remain friends regardless of our differences, I
would like to add the following caveats:

Properly set-up and adjusted Houdaille's are actually a very effective and desirable 50/50 (same degree of resistance up or down) action shock.

They were the shock of choice on most sprint cars and Indy cars long after the tube shock was
invented, even showing up on torsion-bar suspended Kurtis-Kraft racers into the 60's, and scratch-built Bonneville racers as late as the 70's..(the Salt Flats are far from smooth).

The tube shock is very cheap to produce, and owes its origins to the aircraft industry, where they replaced "bungee cords". A lighter, better mousetrap if you will. Their greatest advantage is that they are so inexpensive and efficient that no one in their right mind would design anything today with a lever shock.

Having ranted the above diatribe, I'd still opt for the levers only because it appears that your 40 is otherwise original, and I believe that properly set-up Houdaille's are more than adequate to handle today's roads. Yes, we're driving faster, but compared to 1940 roads, I don't believe we are demanding more of our shocks.

Probably the only lever action shock that is better than the Houdalle would be the Delco-Lovejoy. These, however were not OEM on your 40.

Now, a minor confession....I still have big-ol Gabriel Silver E's (off a Caddie)on the back of my 38, because they seem to keep my old Station Wagon from leaning so much in turns, because they are mounted at about a 45 degree angle, and are stiff as all "get-out". I do
have a pair of cherry Houdaille's for the rear in case I get crazy and decide to have my relic judged.

Respectfully, (especially to Super)

Dan

Arts40
02-09-2012 @ 7:29 PM

Thanks, all. I think I'll leave the tube shocks as-is for openers, assuming form/fit/function check out OK. (They look rugged enough, but it'll be a while before a road test!) The car is garaged some distance away, but next time there I'll take/post photos of the shock mounts for your further comment. Meanwhile, am still in the early days of gathering opinions and recommendations to help decide what to preserve vs. what to restore. Will post a picture or two of the car this weekend (along with another question or three). Thanks again for your good advice on this post. Efv8 is clearly a great resource.

37 Coupe
02-10-2012 @ 7:13 AM

I disagree with Supereals statement that if lever shocks were so good they never would have been replaced by tubular shocks. I beleive they were replaced by economics primarily,cost a lot more to make a single shock that fits in only one corner,say left front than to make a "fit all" front shock or rear which tubular provide. Same is still true today cost a lot more to rebuild Houldaille shocks than to go out and buy a set of Chinaman tubulars.

supereal
02-10-2012 @ 7:32 AM
Senior

Much of the switch to tube shocks was due to the fact that they didn't require adjusting once they were properly sized and installed. Over the years, we found that the majority of the lever shocks we examined either didn't work at all, or were frozen and had come free from their links. Of course they can be rebuilt or replaced if you want them, and are willing to foot the bill. Levers replaced the friction disk type, followed by the tubes, and the advent of gas filled spring over shocks is the preference today. If you want levers, by all means have them. Like "the little girl with the curl", When they worked, they were swell, when they didn't, they were horrid!

TomO
02-10-2012 @ 7:53 AM
Senior

I agree with Stroker on the reason the manufacturers went to the tube shocks. In the late 40's and early 50's the tube shocks were available for between $12 - $15. Later they became cheaper.

The tube shocks available at that time were good for about12,000 miles, while there were many cars with lever shocks that were working with 50,000 miles on them.

The tube shock kits for Fords became available around 1946 and it was less expensive to install a kit than replace the lever shocks.

No matter what shock you decide to use, make sure that it is working. Worn out or malfunctioning shocks make a car dangerous to drive.

Tom

alanwoodieman
02-10-2012 @ 11:07 AM
Senior

please keep the car as original as possible, low mileage cars help to restore the "driven to death" cars that most of us have. As to lever verses tube shocks, I had the lever shocks rebuilt for my 40 wagon front and rear and found out that in a cross wind I was always chasing the car to keep it in a straight line.Ended up putting tube shocks front and rear. Sure drives better. The 40 tudors I had were not as bad, but still could have been givin an advantage with tube shocks

Stroker
02-10-2012 @ 1:12 PM
Senior

Alan:

I share with you the joy of driving an early wagon in a cross wind. I'm of the opinion that
the tube shocks on the rear work so much better than the levers because of the way they are mounted, which makes them much more effective in countering body roll. I've never worked out
where the CG is on my wagon, but I'd be willing to bet it is a lot higher, and farther to the
rear than any other body style, especially when fully occupied with 7 souls. I once broke
a rear spring center bolt on my 38 while "fully occupied" in the mountains. The rear tubes
went on shortly thereafter.

Dan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org