LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 1951 F3 "Widow Maker" Rim Alternatives

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1951 F3 "Widow Maker" Rim Alternatives

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

alt63bird
12-01-2014 @ 6:23 PM

A friend of mine has gotten his grandfather's '51 F3 V8/4-speed stakebed up and running after a 30+ year slumber. To his credit, he's gone through the flathead 8 and the brakes, and this winter will tackle recovering the seat by himself, then refresh the sheet metal next fall/winter.

The one thing he's leery about are the two-piece 17"x ?" "Widow Maker" 8-lug/6.5" bolt circle rims. I've been trying to get dimensions and possible replacement options for him - one person suggested to him using '93 Dodge 3/4-1-ton 16x6/8x6.5 rims as they would have the same hub opening and bolt circle (apparently Chevy/GMC has same bolt circle but smaller hub opening, and newer F-350s use a metric-sized bolt circle that doesn't match the 6.5"), but I cannot find any info on hub opening size, inside wheel diameter, offsets, etc. for front or rear wheels.

A copy of the '48-'56 Ford Truck Parts/Accessories Catalog that's online does not have the first 11 pages of parts listings, which just happens to be the listings for wheels. I was hoping to find wheel dimensions for the original front and rear wheels for comparison. I know that there are two rear disc wheels to choose from based on brake drum used - an 08Y 1126-? (?) and T1AA 1126-? (?) showed up, and I assume similar numbers 08Y 1125-? and a T1AA 1125-? for the fronts. Can anyone provide info on either the original rims or what can be used for a more-modern/safe replacement?

49fordv8f4
12-02-2014 @ 5:08 PM

I don't remember the brake size for the rear of the '51 F3, if they are 12", any 16" or 16.5" Ford 3/4 ton truck or van wheel will fit up to the '90s when Ford changed to the metric pattern. If the rear brakes are 14" you are pretty much limited to the 17" wheels that came on it or have some made,possibly have some eight hole centers put in 19.5" rims.
Mark

TomO
12-03-2014 @ 8:33 AM
Senior

The Parts book lists only the 17"x5.5 wheel for the F3 truck tube type tire. It has 8 studs and a 6.5 circle diameter.

Here are the different P/n for the wheels from 48-56

48-52 7RY-1007 Tube type 8 studs 6.5 circle
53-54 TCA-1007A Tube type 6 studs 7.25 circle
55 B5Y-1007B Tube type 6 studs 7.25 circle
56 B8Y-1015-A Tubeless type 6 studs 7.25 circle

There doesn't appear to be a direct replacement drum for the 51 F3. If you change wheels, you may also have to change the backing plates with the drums.

I hope this helps.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 12-3-14 @ 8:44 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org