LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 1949 F-3 Pickup

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1949 F-3 Pickup -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Steve'49FordF3
10-27-2010 @ 8:43 PM

Hey Guys, new to the club. I am finishing up a restoration of a 49 Ford F-3. Looking for a few parts and have some questions.
Parts:
1. need a driver side running board. Easy to find for F-1 but not so easy for my F-3. Anyone know where I can locate one or any ideas?
2. Seem to be missing the cross member bars for the bed. I have 2 that fit across the shorter end of the bed in the center by the wheel wells but missing longer bars - any suggestions? Also need the wood for the longer F-bed. Guess we can cut them to size but does anyone sell those ready to install?
3. Missing the small plate that sits on the floor under the brake and clutch. Anyone know where I can locate that part?
4. Finally, I have never driven this "project" truck but I know mine came from a farm and I hear the ratio on the rear end will be a slow ride - not great for highway as it is. I know that I can swap out the rear end from a junked vehicle. Anyone have a list of rear ends that would fit in the F-3? Want to keep same measure center to center between springs and would like to hopefully keep the same 8 lug wheels. Looking for right junker (year, model, make) that would do the job.
5. I've also heard about rear end kit that apparantly retro fits in my original rear end but for approx $700 gives an improved gear ratio for better speed and highway use. Anyone have any experience with this?

truckdog62563
10-28-2010 @ 1:55 PM

1. Hard to find. Watch eBay, you see them there sometimes. No vendors come to mind. I bought a whole parts truck just because it had great boards and rear bumper. That's extreme maybe, but it beats dealing with rotten boards.

2. Bruce Horkey. Here's his link. http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/

3. Again, I'd watch eBay. You might also go to a more active forum like the FTE 1948 to 1960 forum and see if somebody has the parts to sell. Here's the FTE link. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/

4. To keep the 8 lug x 6.5" pattern you could swap in a Dana 60 axle out of a 1967 to 1972 F-250. Bolt in swap and allows you to get down to a 3.73 or 3.54 IIRC.

5. To keep your stock Timken Model 51524 split case axle you could go to Chuck Mantiglia at Chuck's Trucks to get a set of his modified 4.11 gears. The ring and pinion sets are made for Franklin quick change racing applications but Chuck has worked out how to adapt them to the stock Timken case. I have two sets in my front and rear Marmon Herrington axles. I haven't got them installed yet so can't say how they work on the road. They've got to be a lot better than the stock 4.857 (4.86). You're right about the approximate price. Here's Chuck's link. http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm

6. An issue you didn't mention but which is real important. Your '49 F-3 has 14" rear drums and uses 17" Budd multi-part wheels. There have been guys that tried to use 16" wheels and found they wouldn't clear the drums. The problem with the 17s is that they are the kind of wheel known as a "widow maker". Technical term for the wheels is Firestone RH-5°. Rather than me rattle on about the dangers of these wheels, please do yourself a Google search of the terms and read about them. Bad news. The best replacement is the 17.5" tubeless wheel first offered on 1956 F-250s. It allows use of stock hub caps and will clear drums fine. Might be hard to find though. Stu McMillan

Stu McMillan

'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington V8
'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington I6

This message was edited by truckdog62563 on 10-28-10 @ 2:02 PM

Steve'49FordF3
10-29-2010 @ 12:14 PM

Stu- Thanks for your advice and assistance! I will keep searching. Three follow-up questions:
1. would it work to purchase 2 F-1 driver's side running boards and cut and weld the two into one larger running board? Could the ends match up right if done carefully?
2. Can the cross members be made using fabricated wood cut to the right size?
3. thanks for the advice on the rear end ratio. Getting lots of mixed advice. I was told I could use a Dana axle from a 1957 - 1969 truck (not necessarily a Ford??) Someone else suggested a 1949 - 1953 Ford passenger car or a 1970s or even 80s Ford F-1?? Your advice of a 67-72 F-2 seems to make sence and easier range to find one - just didn't know how firm you were on bolt-in swap options (have to be Ford F-2 for example?)
4. I know about the dangers of the split rim "widow-maker" wheels. I am at least the 3rd owner of this truck and it seems that at some point (if not original) someone put solid 17" wheels that have 700-17 tube tires sitting on it. There are not split rims on there now - or are we missing something? Was a solid rim 17" for a tube 700-17 made that fits my truck? because thats what seems to be on there now.

thanks again
steve

truckdog62563
10-29-2010 @ 2:10 PM

1. Yes, I think so. There are the stiffeners along the underside that would have to be removed and relocated, but that wouldn't be a terrible problem.

2. Sure, but Bruce Horkey sells them too. Since you're asking your questions here I've assumed you want to do the truck to an original standard. Bruce's kits are made out of oak or ash and match the originals. You mentioned that you have the two center cross members. Do you also have the metal pieces that fit up to the bed sides on the middle rails. Often they are missing. If you need a picture I'll post over on your FTE thread.

3. Many rear ends will fit because the rears of these trucks were made to S.A.E. standard 34" width. Newer rear ends will be too wide, and other trucks will have had the parking brake on the transmission where you need it on the axle. From what I've read the 67 to 72 F-250 is the best retrofit.

4. I hit you kinda hard on the FTE reply about your widowmakers. Sorry, but it's a safety issue.

5. I'm the only person I know of who has spent the money to have Chuck retro my stock axles to the 4.11 gear sets. So you probably won't get much other info on that unless Chuck himself comments there. Stu

Stu McMillan

Steve'49FordF3
10-29-2010 @ 8:11 PM

Stu,
Glad you are assisting. Don't mind the frank talk. Okay so a few confusion points.... how does Chuck's retro fit work if I am keeping my axle. What wheels would I use if there are no 17 inch wheels that are not widow makers?
Do any of the 67 - 72 have the 8 lug design so I can use the stock hubs etc?
I don't have the longer cross member bars for the bed. Can you pot a picture?
thanks

truckdog62563
10-30-2010 @ 9:15 AM

Chuck has to modify the Franklin gear set to fit the stock case is all I know. He's protective of exactly how he does it because he is in business, after all, and spent a fair amount of time working out the details of the modifications. He's understandably not eager to make it public information.

The stock 14" F-3 rear brake components are the pieces you want to be rid of. It dawned on me last night that the F-2 models from 48 to early 51 used the same axle, but with 12" brakes, and had the parking brake on the axle like you need. You could hunt down the F-2 components, or whole F-2 rear axle since it's the same Timken 51524. Then you could use the stock F-2/F-250 16" wheels that allow use of the stock hub caps. The hub cap issue keeps coming up because these stock wheels had their hub cap nubs on the inner center of the wheel like your 17s do. Later wheels have the hub cap nubs on the outer center and don't work.

I think Bob Jones posted a pic of Bruce Horkey's cross member kit over on FTE. I think I saw the metal inserts with it that fit up to the fender wells and add support to the thinner center cross members. If that pic doesn't do it, let me know. So, hope that helps. Stu

Stu McMillan

jimc9990
10-31-2010 @ 9:30 AM

I have a 51 f-2 , there are not any cables for the parking brake back to the rear brake drums. The parking brake is on the rear of the transmission.I am changing to a 70 f-250 rear to get the cables and keep the 8 lug 16 in. wheels.

lubinsk
10-31-2010 @ 1:10 PM

Here is an address I've been using for my truck part I have a 1948 F2 Ford truck and have been haveing problems getting it to run faster than 45 mph too. NPD Michigan 2435 S. Haggerty Rd. Canton Michigan 48188
# 734-397 4589 Toll Free 1-800-521-6104 Also I have an address for the bed let me know if you need it.
John

truckdog62563
10-31-2010 @ 2:34 PM

Yes, in mid 1951 Ford changed the brake set up and moved the parking brake to the transmission. By swapping in the Dana 60 from the 1970 F-250 you get around that issue.

I've only had one experience with NPD, and they messed up my order so I never went back to them. But would be interested to know what they told you they can do to swap gear ratios in the stock rear, if anything. Also, what is your source for Express bed parts for the '48 to '52 F-2s and F-3s. That will be real news if there is such a source. Stu

Stu McMillan

Steve'49FordF3
11-06-2010 @ 9:57 PM

I started another string about my 1949 F-3 restoration about 2 weeks ago but fell on this string today and am surprised how many F-3 restorations are going on. These are tough to find some parts for and I stumbled upon the F-3 when I found my truck that was for sale locally and I was looking for a project to do with my son. That was about 8 years ago and I (as a lot of you have experienced) have spent way more time and WAY more money than I ever expected or dreamed of. No return on investment but it is a project I fell in love with and I am hooked! I got some great advice here on FTE - especially from Stu. Just today... following Stu's advice... I felt like a kid on Christmas when I located about 15 minutes from my house behind a fellow old truck guy's garage - a 1971 F-2 Dana 60 rear end and 4 8 lug 16.5 wheels to replace my widow maker 700-17s. I had purchased from another F-3 collector 4 new 100-17 tires plus 2 white walls but I may be selling them or putting them on the back of a garage next to my original pumpkin rear axle in the rare case I sell it to a fanatic who would rather have the original. I have restored this to as original as possible (except for this rear end and wheel switch which I did so I can enjoy the truck at normal speeds on the road and wheel safety issues.) I got lucky but my find is leading me to more questions - brakes for example... Stu, what do I need to look to do about brakes and emergency brake? I also got lucky about 6 years ago and found a bed with fenders in great shape that was being used as a trailer. My cab was decent but found cab fenders to replace my rusty ones (hard to find for F-3s but be patient). Ordered the cross members from Bruce Horkey. I JUST found the driver's side running board I have been looking for - also tough to find for F-3 and I now have an extra passanger side running board in GREAT shape. The V8 engine was in great shape and I had the engine rehauled and ready for prime time. Body off restoration and it is now primed and re-painted Vermillion Red. Steering box done, instrument panel refurbished by Mark Clawson Instruments in Anacortes, WA., wiring harness installed. Found an original seat in great shape in Maine - drove there a few weeks ago and picked it up. Got some great parts from Chuck's Trucks and Early Ford V8 (both very helpful with advice.) Can't wait for this d*mn project to be done and to see it actually move without the help of a tow truck or flat bed. Now that my son is 16, hopefully he or I will be able to handle the clutch and take it for its first ride in the coming weeks (months?) I will keep you guys updated...and try to download some pics.

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org