LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Ignition Switch

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Ignition Switch -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

JONE
07-20-2015 @ 10:30 AM

I have a early '47 Mercury. After completely rewiring the car, & completing the 12V conversion, everything seems to work just fine. I started the engine and enjoyed driving it around town a bit. I had noticed that when turning off the switch lever the engine would continue to run for a second or two before shutting down. Yesterday I got stranded at the grocery store, the car would not start. It turned over just fine but would not fire. Had it towed home. I think the problem may be in the ignition switch. Even with the switch in the off position I am getting current to the Coil and Gage terminals. The car has an electric fan attached to one of the terminals, but it will not run. It does run when 12V is applied directly. Does anybody know what I can do to repair this situation?

JONE
07-20-2015 @ 12:36 PM

I've removed the ignition switch body, it is encased in a metal box. The replacement part in Mac's & Carpenter's catalogs just show the bakelite part that is encased in the box. The back of the box is staked to the box and cannot be removed without grinding the stakes off. I can do that. I get good continuity between the batt post and the gage post, but very poor continuity between the batt & coil posts. I guess I'll grind off the stakes and see what I have.

TomO
07-21-2015 @ 5:33 AM
Senior

I doubt that you need to do any grinding on the metal box. Most of them have 4 metal tangs that can be bent to remove the Bakelite switch portion. If you do grind off the tangs, you will not be able to reuse the box.

Tom

JONE
07-21-2015 @ 7:13 AM

There are metal tabs on two sides that are bent inward to retain the bakelite part. They will be nearly impossible to get ahold of to bend outward. The metal back plate is fastened to the metal body by means of extruded holes in the back plate thru the metal body and then swaged over. That is what I intend to grind off, hopefully I can leave a couple of tabs that can later be re-swaged. I have not yet purchased the new switch body, but when I receive it I will try to determine a way to remove the old part.Perhaps I can bend the side tabs out from the bottom.

This message was edited by JONE on 7-21-15 @ 7:14 AM

cliftford
07-21-2015 @ 7:30 AM
Senior

Here is something you might try that works sometimes: drill a 1/8 or smaller hole in the metal part of the switch spray in some WD 40 with the small straw that comes with it and work the switch back and forth. If the contacts are dirty it may do the trick. It's worth a try.

JONE
07-22-2015 @ 7:10 AM

That's a good thought Clifford, but due to some of the problems as stated in my original post, I believe something may be loose or broken inside the switch. I have ordered the new switch body and should have it in a day or two. The engineer in me makes me want to take it apart and see how it works.

cliftford
07-22-2015 @ 8:31 AM
Senior

Here's what I would do if you want to be able to drive the car: Temporarily install a universal ignition switch, until you can find a good used or nos one. If Carpenter. Mac's, and Drake don't have it, it's probably not available as a repro.

JONE
07-22-2015 @ 8:48 AM

I tried the WD-40 trick. Instead of drilling a hole I squirted the WD-40 thru the retaining tabs. It did not seem to remedy the problem. I took the switch apart and found that the contacts were a bit corroded and the coil contact in the switch body was worn. I ordered a new switch body from Macs, I should get it in a day or two. I polished the contacts in the swivel plate with a scotch brite pad. Now I just have to wait for the new switch body to arrive so I can put it back together. It's really quite simple inside.

JONE
07-25-2015 @ 10:19 AM

I received the switch body from Mac's today. When I test assembled the parts I am still getting less continuity between the batt contact and coil contact than I get with the gage contact. The coil contact button on the pivoting contact set is worn and the spring is weak. Does anybody know where I can purchase the contacts? The contact set for 38-40 in Mac's catalog looks somewhat similar, but I don't believe it will work.

JONE
07-25-2015 @ 10:54 AM

I did a slight modification to the coil contact button on the triangular contact set that will get me by for a while until it wears down some more. I still need to get a new contact set.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org