LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / oil filter

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: oil filter -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

chrismac
11-26-2010 @ 5:20 AM

In restoring my 1940 station wagon, I am installing an oil filter. The vehicle did not have one but I found a good used canister and mounted it on the left cylinder head. I didn't get any lines or fittings with the canister. Can someone tell me about the plumbing so I can connect the canister correctly? The 1940 Ford Book suggests both inlet and outlet lines were flexible, which I assume means black rubber.
Thanks!
Chris

kubes40
11-26-2010 @ 6:52 AM
Senior

Chris, Below is probably more than you'd ever wanted to know about oil filters. Hope it helps!
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

One design of filter assembly was offered for the 85 and 95 horsepower engines. Fit with part #01A-18658-A and supplied to Ford by the Fram Corporation of Rhode Island, these units were normally installed at the dealership.
The filter housing was vertically mounted to the left cylinder head above and between the #5 and #6 cylinders with three special #350710-S7 nuts.
This assembly utilized a replaceable filter element.
Both the housing body and cover were painted gloss black. The steel cover retaining bolt, 01A-18691 was plain finish. Beneath that bolt was a copper flat washer.
A red, yellow, black and gold decal was placed on the cover. It indicted the filter was manufactured exclusively for Ford by the Fram Corporation and utilized a replacement cartridge filter, #01A-18662.
Some unique features of a proper 1940 filter housing are depicted in the photo.
The inlet is on the right side, near the bottom of the housing and is fitted with a 90* brass fitting. Directly below that fitting is a decal that simply indicates “INLET”. On the very bottom and center of the filter housing is a threaded hole that was fitted with an identical 90* brass fitting as the inlet. This port is used to return the oil to the engine. Just to the front (left) of this fitting is yet another threaded hole. This drain hole was fitted with a brass hex head plug.
Made from an oil resisting compound and covered with a black lacquered braided cloth, both pressure and return hoses were supplied to Ford by the AC Spark Plug CO. All fittings were brass – swivel type. The only exception being the late return hose which had a “banjo” fitting on one end. The exterior of the hoses was rough - obvious evidence of the cloth covering.
While there were two different routings of the oil return hoses, there was but one routing for the pressure line.

The pressure hose threaded into a special angled brass reducing elbow fitting, 01A-18669 (photo #A) that was fitted to the horizontal threaded hole near the oil pressure sending unit. The hose was then routed near the bottom row of cylinder head studs and attached to the inlet fitting on the right side of the filter housing. A cadmium plated clamp (photo # B) which was placed beneath the cylinder head stud between and just below cylinders #7 and #8 held this hose in place. A 27081-S screw and 34141-S nut were utilized with this clamp. There were two designs of this particular clamp. One design had a slot, while the second had a hole.

The first routing of the oil return line ran between the fitting at the very bottom and center of the filter housing and a special bolt / fitting that replaced the bolt at the left fuel pump flange. This was the most common routing having been utilized from the beginning of 1940 production until the very end of
April, 1940.
This return hose was routed through a hole on the rear of the filter housing bracket. A rubber grommet was placed in this hole to insulate the hose against abrasion. Traveling backward along the top of the spark plug conduit, the hose was scr*w*d into a special fitting, 01A-18661 (photo #C) that had replaced the left fuel pump mounting bolt. A cadmium plated clamp (photo D) held this line to the left spark plug wire conduit. This clamp utilized a 26515-S2 screw and 34129-S2 nut.
At the very beginning of May, 1940, the return line routing was revised. The hose came from the bottom and center fitting of the filter housing and ran through the rubber grommet in the base but now was routed forward.
A special hollow bolt with two copper gaskets replaced the bottom – right distributor mounting bolt. The newly revised return hose (photo #F) had a “banjo” fitting on this end to accept this hollow bolt. To hold this line in place, a cadmium plated clamp was placed beneath the washers of the generator mounting stud.
A 27081-S screw and 34141-S nut were utilized with this clamp.

chrismac
11-27-2010 @ 5:37 AM

Thanks Mike. Whoever wrote this knew his stuff! Any idea where it came from? I'd sure like to see the pictures referenced. Dennis Carpenter does not make the flexible hoses for the filter. Do you anyone else who has reproduced them?
Chris

kubes40
11-27-2010 @ 5:39 AM
Senior

Hi Chris,
I wrote that, so - thanks for the kind words
I can email pictures to you directly. Your email address again?
Mike

chrismac
11-27-2010 @ 3:18 PM

e mail me at cemac@macallister.com
Thanks!!!

kubes40
11-28-2010 @ 6:05 AM
Senior

Email is on it's way Chris...

MikeJ
11-28-2010 @ 5:47 PM

Attached is a photo of the lines & fittings as provided by Mike Kubarth. Thanks Kube!

MikeJ
11-28-2010 @ 5:51 PM

And a photo of the oil filter housing and original box, also provided by Kube. Thanks again!

kubes40
11-28-2010 @ 6:03 PM
Senior

Hey Mike,
How the heck do you post pictures on this site? Tell me, tell me, tell me. Pretty please ?
Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 11-28-10 @ 6:04 PM

TomO
11-29-2010 @ 8:57 AM
Senior

Here is a copy of the installation instructions for the hoses.

Kube, to upload photos, click on the "Choose File" box just below your reply on the 'Reply to Topic' page. Then open the folder on your computer that has the photo and click on the photo and open the file. The photo will then be uploaded. You will not see the photo until after you submit the reply.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org