Topic: 32 ford

Pacos Paul    -- 09-20-2015 @ 5:02 PM
  I have a friend who has a 32 ford roadster. It has been in storage for over ten years. The engine is stuck. They tried to do something about 10 years ago but all they did was push up a cylinder head liner and thus they stopped. Nothing else has been done. The car is in good shape other wise. The mice and all have enjoyed it just sitting there. My delima is do I start? Sell it like it is? What is it worth? Hundreds of questions and no one I can talk to. This car was a winner in the 1973 Pebble Beach Classic but that is all I know.. Can someone help me or give me a phone # to call. Since I am not too inclined to use the computer here is my phone number if you wish to call me, 541 297 8800. Paul

CharlieStephens    -- 09-20-2015 @ 7:47 PM
  Paul,

What do you mean by "push up a cylinder head liner? Is it a 4 or 8?

Charlie Stephens

TomO    -- 09-21-2015 @ 9:16 AM
  On the home page of this site is a directory of Regional Groups of the Early Ford V-8 Club. I suggest that you contact the one closest to you and ask them for help with your problem. It is almost impossible to give a value of a car without actually seeing it. Pictures help, but there are too many other variables that need an onsite inspection.

Tom

CharlieStephens    -- 09-21-2015 @ 10:59 AM
  Paul,

You are probably dealing with a car worth in the $40K and up price range but it is not possible to tell without actually seeing the car. It is definitely valuable enough to expend the effort to be sure you get the correct information. I would like to suggest you figure out how to keep the comments and responses posted on the site. Taking detailed notes during a phone conversation isn’t reliable but the main advantage over a private phone call is that other people will see the information. If it is wrong (and we all make mistakes) someone will correct it. If it is correct maybe other people will read it and it may cause them to think of additional information. A couple of other advantages to posting is that it enables everyone to learn from the information and avoids people not calling because they assume someone else has already given you all of the information you need (by the way, have you already had all of your questions answered by phone?)

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-21-15 @ 11:06 AM

Pacos Paul    -- 09-21-2015 @ 12:29 PM
  Thanks for the help. I meant to say the sleeve had been pushed out, the piston is stuck in the sleeve the guy said it was not running very good when he last parked it.
Long story short it was stuck so they tried to take it apart & didn't know how, parked for 10+. My friend was a grate school teacher but a pore mechanic so he ask me to help to sell his cars.
The car is all there mice to I am going to bring it to my shop and clean it up to see what all has to be done other than thee motor
Thank you Charlie & Tom for your help & tips both here & on the phone.

TomO    -- 09-22-2015 @ 7:08 AM
  That is a very nice looking 32 and well worth saving.

It may have a later block in it as I don't believe that the 32 engine was sleeved.

You may be able to free up the engine by filling the cylinders with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic trans oil. Let it soak in for a while and then rock the engine back and forth. If the brakes are not locked up, you can put it in gear to rock the car and the engine. Go easy as you could break something.

Tom

Pacos Paul    -- 09-24-2015 @ 7:10 PM
  Charles, I got the cream puff to my shop this morning.
It rolled well butt I did not try my luck with the brakes, as I will remove the wheels and look at the bearings, shoes, and what ever may be roaming around in their. I won't to be able to answer the questions as they come.
This car came from the Therp Collection around around 2/27/89.
The car is 100% all their save the radio But I do not know where to look for it? The rt. side wing glass is missing the brackets are present.
The seat covers do not have holes but the mice have rearranged the cotton on the inside.
I have it up on the rack the bottom is clean the paint is a little bubbly in spots, a little rust in the seams this thing is as solid as one could find.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-24-2015 @ 8:50 PM
  Paul,

Very few cars came with radios. There was a radio head that bolted to the steering column with off/on and channel selection. There were also two boxes about the size of a car battery under the car in the rumble seat area. One was the radio and the second was a generator to power it. If you are interested in details you might consider buying a copy of "The 1932 Ford Book" sold by the club (see the "online store" and then "shop" on the home page of this web site). Also see: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65918&highlight=radio

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-25-15 @ 12:40 AM

Pacos Paul    -- 09-25-2015 @ 9:24 AM
  Charlie thanks for the tip on the radio my next question was what are the 2 boxes under the rumble seat.
I put the car on the rack and the motor is in fact a 32 the drain cox are drilled straight down.
The under side is nice and shiny even the bolts look good they did not even paint them they are plated, their are spots of rust in the paint but nothing one wood not expect when restoring a nice car.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-25-2015 @ 11:01 AM
  From the description "two boxes under the rumble seat" my first guess would be that they were part of the radio (of course anything could have been installed there over the years). I think you intended to post a picture of the two boxes but you posted another picture, you might check. In a photo of the engine you sent me off line there were what appeared to be resistors at the end of the spark plug wires. This would be another indication of a radio. Is there anything attached to the steering column that could be the head for the radio with off/on and station controls?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-25-15 @ 11:39 AM

Pacos Paul    -- 09-25-2015 @ 7:01 PM
  Charles you are rite those boxes are the radio and the antenna is under the running left board with a upside down joystick on the steering wheel.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-26-2015 @ 10:51 AM
  Paul, If you need major work (such as the engine) be sure to check the person/company you are considering in the archives, here, on fordbarn and on HAMB. If the company has a symbol in the name (such as "&") it will confuse the search engines and not produce results. Sometimes you can go through GOOGLE and get around the problem. For example, if you want information on C&G (a very good early Ford parts supplier) you can go to GOOGLE and search on: C&G on fordbarn, C&G on early ford v8 club, C&G on jamb I would recommend checking out any company before spending large amounts of money on parts and shipping charges.

Charlie Stephens

Pacos Paul    -- 09-27-2015 @ 10:30 AM
  Tom thanks for the reply. You and Charles have saved my life, I knew I should start with the Old Ford club of some kind and found this one thank you and any club members that help with this car.
I have talked to a flat head builder and he said it coast around $8000 to go thru them.
I ask the owner what he wonted to do and he said he has no time for his old cars so sell them as is.
So Tom if you or some one in the club knows of a person who's wanting a nice 32 roadster.
If you have a good website to sell lit me know Paul

CharlieStephens    -- 09-27-2015 @ 11:51 AM
  Paul,

Start by being sure the paperwork is clean and matches the number on the frame next to the steering box. You will probably want to bring it up to date with a Non-op certificate. You may want to register it in Oregon if that is appropriate but what is the current status of the paperwork and what state does your friend live? The real answer on what you can or cannot do comes from the DMV but it is best to know the answer before you ask them the question. I see California plates? If you need to register the car in California and California wants to hit you for back due registration I believe there is an exemption for back registration for antiques (you are going to have to research it, I don’t know the details). If your friend has moved to Oregon and not updated the registration I believe you just start with the Oregon DMV but you should ask the Oregon DMV. Keep in mind state sales tax, do they have that in Oregon? And then there is capital gains tax for an appreciated asset.

You need to hang the sheet metal on and take a bunch of pictures. Be sure to show the radio, the dual temp gauge the dual fender mounted spares (get a picture that shows both spares at the same time, like from the front) and the parts that bolt onto the top of the engine (carburetor, manifold, generator etc.). I would advertise here, on fordbarn.com and on HAMB (I sure would hate to see it turned into a street rod but to be fair to your friend it should go to the one willing to pay the most). The nice thing about fordbarn and HAMB is that you can post multiple pictures. Send an ad (send it by email if you can get the email address so the recipient can forward it others in the club) for the newsletter in each of the local chapters as shown on the Home Page under Regional Club Directory. Remember it may be a couple of months before the ad is published so you might send out a "teaser" ad while you are trying to get organized (figure out what you want for the car and try to get it running). Others will comment on EBAY, Hemmings and the Early Ford V8 Club magazine. Someone will end up with a nice car.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-27-15 @ 7:09 PM

40 Coupe    -- 10-06-2015 @ 5:09 AM
  The original motor could have had sleeves (thin wall or thick) added for repair of a bad cylinder. The 50/50 mix is not a bad idea or you can use Marvel Mystery Oil, MMO. $8,000. is a VERY BIG price for engine rebuild let alone repair. Check with H&H flatheads in CA for their prices or Mark Moriarty in NY see the V8 Times for contact info. The original 32 flathead is Very prone to cracks.

trjford8    -- 10-07-2015 @ 1:08 PM
  That roadster looks very familiar. It may be the one that was restored by Lloyd Riggs in Walnut Creek, California. He's still a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club and is listed in the club's roster.

CharlieStephens    -- 10-13-2015 @ 6:18 PM
  Paul,
See response on other thread you started.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-13-15 @ 7:18 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 10-15-2015 @ 9:12 AM
  Paul, I would purchase the 1932 books offered by the V-8 Club of America. They were written by Dave Rehor the '32 expert.

Pacos Paul    -- 10-24-2015 @ 11:39 AM
  Charlie!
I found the builder of my 32 or he found me.
I was trying to find my way around this site and their was a thing that said messages and their was all the ones that you sent and this one that said I think I mite have built your car.

What a nice man, he is part of the founding club members.
The first president of the club did the upholstery and so on. he told me it took 10 years to find all of the parts to the radio. He told me all about the build and what was done.

When he got the car it was a old hot rod no fenders and some kind of a v8 36 I think so he found a 32 engine. His goal was a perfect 32. He found new old stock.
The only modification to the car is the transmission he did the old trick of zpher gears as you know the old crash box was no fun.
It seems as he wen't ground up to make it stock as it would have been in 32. The block was welded not pined & sleeved to std. as was the crank now we know why the sleeves.

This has been a entrusting project much different from my norm of building hot rods this one is the other way around.

I think it is something I have been working on cars seance I was 12 years old in the 50s. Charlie I am still working on the same cars listening to the same tuns on the radio driving the same cars, my daily driver is a 57 chev stepside. Of coarse is is not completely stock.
I am sure you have the same story as a hole lot of the outer members do. If you don't remember Dick Clark you just weren't their.

Thanks for hearing me ramble. Paul

trjford8    -- 10-25-2015 @ 9:57 AM
  Paul, was I correct in stating that Lloyd Riggs used to own that car?

Pacos Paul    -- 10-25-2015 @ 12:47 PM
  Yes you were correct Lloyd Was the builder. Like I thought when I started this project go to the clubs and help would arrive.

The inter action of the members (boys & girls) I believe is what makes the sport fun, as I told Charlie I mostly build street rods out of parts I collect. Dealing with the people in that sport are sometimes not so enjoyable seams I bump into every scammer and you name it just to get one sold.
I am sure every body has the some problem but with the old cars, to build one is a love of the accomplishment. I found the builder of this 32 Im working on he said it took 10 years just to find all of the parts for the radio that's love. so when one thinks of it that is why my wife tells her friends she is a garage widow.
Thanks for the help Paul

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=9000