Topic: reval on 32 Ford Frame

sturgis 39    -- 01-28-2013 @ 7:38 AM
  Did all 1932 Ford Cars and Pickups frames have the reveal above the running boards?

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

trjford8    -- 01-28-2013 @ 10:06 AM
  Yes, they all had the reveal.

sturgis 39    -- 01-28-2013 @ 10:20 AM
  Thanks for the reply. i guy was trying to tell me that the first produced 32 Ford frames did not have the reveal above the running boards.

Thanks again

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

CharlieStephens    -- 01-28-2013 @ 2:10 PM
  I have a '32 4 door sedan with serial number *AB50035XX* (where XX are numbers I don't wish to show). It is hard to date the 4 cylinders by engine number due to the build up of inventory but it looks early. It has the reveals.

Charlie Stephens

3w2    -- 01-28-2013 @ 6:44 PM
  Charlie,

Here's a photo of the first '32 produced, #18-1, being hand stamped by Mr. Ford on March 10, 1932. Note the reveal on the frame.

Dave

ckh    -- 10-28-2013 @ 9:54 AM
  I have personally seen a 32 frame that in fact had no reveal. It was the same in all respects except for the reveal; front frame horns, rear horns, crossmembers,etc. It was an original frame not a repro. Perhaps it was an early prototype. Just guessing but perhaps the reveal was added for strength, not appearance.

Stroker    -- 10-28-2013 @ 4:02 PM
  I had an early production 32-4 cylinder pickup which had the "reveal". I've never seen a 32 frame that didn't have it, but of course as previously stated it's possible that some pre-production frames may not have been so embossed. I believe it was a Edsel inspired styling touch for the 32 passenger car line rather than a structural element. The fact that it also appeared on pickups is simple economics, as they shared the passenger car frame, so it didn't make sense to build two stamping dies.

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2013 @ 4:29 PM
  Stroker, With rregard to the "early production" '32 4 bangers, you must remember that none were produced until some time after the V8's hit the streets. I'm sorry, I don't have the exact dates or numbers, but I do remember reading that Ford wanted to soft pedal the 4 cylinder, in favor of the V8. He even concealed the fact that the 4 banger was the stronger engine of the two.

This means nothing, of course, to the question of the reveal, only that the time frame of the 4 cylinder vehicles reportedly started a bit later than the V8 vehicles.

Alan

Stroker    -- 10-28-2013 @ 5:21 PM
  Alan: I wouldn't question you logic, but my gut feeling is that a 32 commercial (pickup) would have been most likely ordered with the "tried and true" 4 cylinder since most pickup buyers at that time in history were looking for cheap, basic tools, rather than today's buyers who drive pickups for many complex sociological reasons.

3w2    -- 10-28-2013 @ 8:06 PM
  Actually, a potential buyer of a '32 commercial vehicle did not have the option to purchase it with a V-8 engine until late in the model year. It was first released for the station wagon two months after Job# 1 for V-8 passenger cars, but even later by several more months for the pickup and panel delivery.

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2013 @ 8:06 PM
  Dan, I'm not so complex... I'm just as cheap as you are!
That's a point (pickups) to research, I guess, 'cause I agree with your logic too.

Alan

Edit: There ya go, David smelled our brain farts!

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 10-28-13 @ 8:08 PM

hb32    -- 12-26-2014 @ 8:41 PM
  Bringing this up again.
I also have a 1932 frame without the reveal,
in this case a pickup. Has the right front and rear crossmembers, K member, 106" wheel base, etc.
Page 17 of the book, 32 Ford Deuce by Tony Thacker, has a picture with description clearly showing a frame with no reveal.
There are threads on both the HAMB and Ford Barn discussing the same topic as well as a reply from The Benson Ford Research Center indicating that that there were some frames built without the reveal stamped into them.

This message was edited by hb32 on 12-26-14 @ 8:42 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=5665