Topic: 32 Ford Aluninum oil pan

doylez286    -- 06-29-2012 @ 10:46 AM
  I have 2 Aluminum oil pans both are broken. Does any one know who can weld these old pans? I live in Northern Utah.I can ship to any location.

Doyle

This message was edited by doylez286 on 6-29-12 @ 1:01 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 06-29-2012 @ 11:22 AM
  You should include your general location in your post since shipping is expensive and it is better to deal in person. While you are at it you should also update your profile to include your general location.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-29-12 @ 11:23 AM

Stroker    -- 06-29-2012 @ 1:52 PM
  I'm sure you can find someone in the Salt Lake area. For starters, I'd check out small
General Aviation airports for leads. Tig-welding aluminum isn't all that difficult, and
most aviation mechanics have a favorite local source for repairs. I used to weld a lot of
aluminum but no longer have the proper equipment. Another place to look are boat sales and repair, as they often have a lead on who can weld up damaged lower units, hulls etc.

The hardest part of welding an aluminum piece that has been used to contain oil is getting
it clean enough to weld. Old, porous aluminum sand castings tend to absorb oil, and oil prevents proper aluminum weld repairs. I'd guess that whoever makes the repair will spend hours or possibly days getting the area clean enough to weld, and mere minutes actually welding. You might consider having the pans chemically cleaned by an automatic transmission rebuilder before even showing them to your welder.

supereal    -- 06-29-2012 @ 5:04 PM
  At our shop, we routinely weld aluminum. Recently, we repaired an aluminum block that suffered heavy damage when a rod got loose. Check your local machine shops. If they can't weld aluminum, they should get into another business.

woodiewagon46    -- 11-25-2012 @ 9:09 AM
  I agree with stroker, I had a friend with a small crack in his 32 pan and since I am a professional welder he asked me to TIG weld the crack. WOW what a job, as I started to run a bead I could literally see oil coming out of the aluminum. I think before one even contemplates an aluminum oil pan repair they should bring it to someone that can chemically degrease the pan with some sort of hot solvent to try to boil out the oil, I won't try that repair again!

efv8kid    -- 04-20-2015 @ 8:58 AM
  No matter how you try and clean them, you cannot get all the impurities out of the aluminum. The only way I know of is to grind back the aluminum to fairly clean surface and then someone who is patient and will stick with it till the impurities quit coming to the surface.

3w2    -- 04-20-2015 @ 4:47 PM
  Unless the damage is confined to the bell housing area, welding a '32 pan is a real challenge. The aluminum used was so porous that the pans literally sweated oil. As indicated above, the lion's share of the job is purging that absorbed oil.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=4874