Topic: four cylinder engine vibration

fperrin    -- 01-18-2012 @ 4:11 PM
  I recently purchased a stock 32 pickup. It has the four cylinder engine. runs great but at around 1000 rpm the engine has a very noticable vibration. It rattles everthing in the cab of the truck. I've never had any experience with this type of vehicle and wondered if anyone had any sugestions. We really enjoy the truck. Who ever restored it did a fine job. I took it to my first show at the Tucson Classic car show and got a second place in my class.
I would also like to know if there is any way the history of the vehicle can be traced. I can only go back about 20 years to a dead end.
Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

supereal    -- 01-19-2012 @ 5:25 AM
  If you have an early engine, or a transplant from a Model A, the crankshaft does not have counterweights. This results in the type of vibration you mention. It becomes a loud drumming when you reach road speed. Unles you have a loose belt or crank pulley, there isn't much you can do. As for tracing history, getting back 20 years is remarkable, in itself. The VIN system of today wasn't adopted until the late 40's, and finding early Ford history is nearly impossible.

CharlieStephens    -- 01-19-2012 @ 10:22 AM
  This would be a good question to post in the Model A section of fordbarn.com. Just a thought and probably not related to the problem but did you remember the U shaped shims between the flywheel housing and the engine?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 1-19-12 @ 10:22 AM

1932BB    -- 01-22-2012 @ 8:17 AM
  The "snubber" that connects the engine to the firewall may need some attention. If the cab rattles at certain RPM,s the snubber may be rusted or stuck. In any case it is relatively easier to eliminate.

billcarry    -- 08-20-2016 @ 12:42 PM
  In the late sixties/early seventies I restored an early 32 four cylinder pickup. It did not have the firewall snubber. The rear main bearing was badly worn and I attributed that to the lack of the snubber. The truck did not have the battery shield either. I guess I assumed both these items were incorporated sometime into the model year. I'd be interested in any info.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-20-2016 @ 5:15 PM
  If you need the rubber parts to rebuild the snubber try Renner's corner, rennerscorner.com, (734) 428-8424.

Charlie Stephens

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=4238