Topic: model b roadster value versus v8 roadster vaslue

patlasuncity    -- 08-19-2016 @ 3:35 PM
  I am trying to figure out the value of a 1932 v8 motor with starter, ignition coil proper aluminum heads and oil pan but missing generator and carb.and this is a tough one for me. I am 100% certain this is an early 32 v8 with the oil dipstick running thru the block and into the oilpan. If a guy had a model b roadster how much would this 1932 v8 motor increase the value of that roadster ? Should I just put it upon ebay ? Thanks

3w2    -- 08-19-2016 @ 6:27 PM
  For starters, if the cylinder heads are aluminum they are post '32 production as all '32 v-8 engines had cast iron heads (with 7/8" spark plug threads).

It sounds as though it is missing several difficult (a.k.a. expensive) to replace items because of their scarcity as early '32-only items such as the low fuel pump and distributor. Their absence would have a negative effect on the value of the engine whether sold as is or installed in place of the four-cylinder engine. No mention is made of your having a comparably early transmission which is another negative factor.

There were two versions of the V-8 block with the through-the-block oil dip stick. The earliest had separate steady brackets that bolted on to the sides of the bell housing and the second had the mounting holes for the steady rods cast into the block's bell housing. Both are valuable, but first version is likely more so.

As it sounds like this is not a running engine which opens the question of the condition of the block. Boring the cylinders on an early '32 V-8 block more than +.020 is an invitation to finding water in the oil pan. There are good reasons why so many of them were replaced.

As some hobbyists are fussy about engine and chassis numbers matching plus all of the above I'd say you'd be better off not bothering to install it in your Model B, but rather sell it separately as potential buyers would be interested in it to install in a suitably early V-8 chassis given that you've not indicated whether your Model B was also of early production.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-19-2016 @ 7:11 PM
  If you have a Model B engine in the car now I would leave it alone. A car on the road is worth two in the garage. A few years ago I priced out the changes and the increased value was just about equal to the cost of doing the conversion. The following changes need to be made when replacing a Model B with a V8 (21 stud, others will require a few more things):

Of course engine, motor mounts
Muffler and exhaust system before muffler (same after)
Radiator
Radiator support rods
Engine steady rods
Hubcaps
Starter switch (if it is early B with pull starter)
Transmission (gears interchange but cases are different)
Choke (B is a cable, V8 is a rod)
Accelerator linkage
Engine splash pans
Gas line needs to be routed from right on Model B to left on V8
The B will have a few extra holes in the firewall pad from mounting the 4 cyl engine snubber
Need to add emblem to headlight bar
Need to accept the fact that the serial number (VIN) is for a 4 cylinder

Charlie Stephens

One final thought, do the petcocks point straight down on your engine (indicating it is a '32)?

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-20-16 @ 12:37 PM

patlasuncity    -- 08-20-2016 @ 5:58 AM
  Thank you all for the responses. I did say aluminum heads in the posting and this was a mistake-- I meant to say aluminum intake. I am leaning toward listing it on ebay . Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 08-20-2016 @ 9:24 AM
  How about a few pictures? As I asked before, do the petcocks point straight down? If you put your general location and email into your profile someone reading this thread might contact you.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-20-16 @ 9:27 AM

patlasuncity    -- 08-26-2016 @ 4:22 PM
  Hello, the item has been listed on ebay # 272354587784 . Thank you

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=10002