Topic: rear main seal

mlevan    -- 07-28-2016 @ 12:37 PM
  Is bars rear main seal repair good for a slight rear main seal leak on a 239 engine? Thanks

len47merc    -- 07-28-2016 @ 2:00 PM
  To my knowledge the only rock-solid, sure-fire fix for a 'slight' rear main leak on a 239 is a Blitz oil drip pan.

Steve

alanwoodieman    -- 07-28-2016 @ 3:42 PM
  old ford do not leak, they just mark there territory!! if a 221 or a 239 does not leak a little it is out of oil!

mlevan    -- 07-31-2016 @ 12:15 PM
  what is a blitz oil drip pan?

CharlieStephens    -- 07-31-2016 @ 1:06 PM
  Google is your friend. It is a flat sheet metal drip pan that goes on the floor under the car.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-31-16 @ 1:25 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 07-31-2016 @ 1:07 PM
  Does anyone know how you delete a post?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-31-16 @ 1:26 PM

len47merc    -- 07-31-2016 @ 2:15 PM
  mlevan - no ill intent at all was in my original reply. There is quite a bit more depth and content in alanwoodieman's and my replies than is apparent on the surface and most everyone on that has been on this Forum for a while knows from where those responses came.

Bottom line - with respect to your Bars Leak question, I have zero experience with that product and, as a matter of personal preference, would absolutely never consider using it in a flathead. These motors leak from the rear main. Pure and simple - they leak. I installed a new rear main seal in my idled-for-approximately 40 years 239 due to an 'oppressive' leak from a dried-out, brittle seal and the new seal leaked immediately, although only 'slightly' after the change and to a level that is considered normal for a new seal. Lose far less than a quart in 3,000 miles but on concrete it may look like a gallon. Most all of us accept this as a fact and enjoy driving them in spite of this fundamental aspect. You stated you have a 'slight' rear main leak which is normal. Ever noticed the large, loose cotter pin in the bottom of the bell housing? It's there for a reason (leave it to you to think that one through).

I have never seen a 239 that did not at minimum leak slightly from the rear main and much humor about this basic attribute has been shared over the years here. Please accept the earlier posts in none other than a supportive vein. If you do ultimately do try the Bars Leak product please report back on your results. Thanks -

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9929