Topic: Oil leak

silverchief    -- 07-01-2016 @ 10:33 AM
  My 46 coupe has a 49 PU engine. It has the usual Ford oil leak ever since I've owned it.

Over a period of about 3 weeks I will get a puddle about 6 inches across in my oil drip pan.

I have always assumed it is the rear seal, but I see no appreciable drop on the oil stick.

I see no sign of oil leaks or blow back on the transmissioncase, but am wondering if perhaps that is the source of the leak. Is that likely?

I almost have to take it to a lift to check the trans level, and last time I did (3 months ago)it was down about an inch - from the previous summer.

I can buy the oil pan gasket and rear seal from C&G but they specify the rear seal is only for a 3 & 3/16
bore. Not sure how to handle that.

I will appreciate all suggestions.

nelsb01    -- 07-01-2016 @ 1:01 PM
  I am going to take a stab at it...........
I have a 1949 -- so we have the same style engine. Mine also leaves its mark in the drip pan on the floor. I have found just like you that it really doesn't look like I am losing engine oil as much as I am transmission oil.
I think that if you look real close, the oil will be thicker (heavier) than engine oil. I also think that having to periodically add to the transmission is where it is coming from.
Every spring I have to add about as much as you mention to the transmission on my vehicle.

supereal    -- 07-01-2016 @ 2:52 PM
  A big leak at the rear of the engine can be caused by a leak where a pipe plug seals the oil gallery behind the flywheel. Since your oil level in the pan doesn't seem to drop, it is a good bet it is transmission oil. Fill the transmission only to the bottom of the filler hole. If a Ford transmission isn't leaking, it is likely out of oil! My '47 has a very good transmission that we rebuilt in our own shop, but it still leaks on both ends. As was said years ago "if a Ford ain't leakin' it probably needs fixin'!

silverchief    -- 07-02-2016 @ 7:58 AM
  Thanks guys - I suspect you are both right.

silverchief    -- 07-31-2016 @ 2:06 PM
  Checked my transmission and it was very low. Decided to try Bars Transmission
Stop Leak and added enough to bring it up to just below fill hole.

Instructions say leak should stop within 3 days or 200 miles of driving. If not, a second application may be necessary.

It's been 3 days but I have driven only about 20 miles, and the leak is obviously greatly reduced.

I think this may be a good product. The large number of you guys with a transmission leak may want to try it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9832