Topic: Setting '36 vacum brake?

Grant    -- 06-23-2016 @ 8:17 AM
  I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the distributor vacuum brake set up dead-nuts-right-on.

This adjustment is being done after the complete distributor assembly, with coil installed, was dialed in on a K R Wilson timing fixture. The carb is a freshly rebuilt Stromberg 97 from kenct (thanks again, Ken).

Ford of Canada's 1935 service classroom MOTOR TUNEUP lesson says, as the very last item:

"23. Road test the car and adjust vacuum brake control."

That's not very helpful. A better reference is the 1934 Ford of USA service training booklet, reprinted in a V8 Times issue about thirty years ago, which shows ADJUST VACUUM BRAKE as its last instruction (on page 24 of 25). It says:

"The distributor vacuum brake should be backed off to the point where it pings under load on the road test, then turned in just enough to remove the ping."

As a first step, the nut was loosened and the bolt was backed all the way out to its stopped position. Then the bolt was rotated one full 360 degree turn, locked down by tightening the nut, and the top of the bolt was marked at the 12 o'clock position with a daub of white paint.

A test drive which included a steep half mile hill at full throttle in high gear produced no ping. Nor was there any ping audible during four more test drives on the same route.......at the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions.

Am I doing something wrong?

What is Henry's definition of "Ping"?

At the current 4 o'clock position, the bolt has now been turned in 1 1/3 turns. Is that just not far enough to produce pinging? Or, rather than being an EFV8er, am I a DEFV8er?

This LB engine is now running very nicely and seems to have lots of acceleration. And it is idling well.

In fact, this is the best that the car has run since power loss issues started in August 2014.

My concern is that engine damage might occur if I've somehow got the vacuum setting wrong ..... too far advanced, or too far retarded.

This message was edited by Grant on 6-23-16 @ 12:02 PM

RAK402    -- 06-23-2016 @ 8:47 AM
  I am interested in hearing the replies to this from the more technical people, too.

It has been a long time since I have adjusted a vacuum brake (at least 15 years), but I can remember that you can hear the pinging very clearly while driving the car.

ken ct.    -- 06-23-2016 @ 11:17 AM
  They say its hard to get it to ping with todays gas. If its not pinging leave it alone and be happy with it. and its running good. Don't worry about it. ken ct.

40 Coupe    -- 06-23-2016 @ 11:57 AM
  Hand adjust the screw all the way up and then thread in back in about 2 turns, use the lock nut to lock it in place. You will have a hard time getting the engine to ping on todays fuel.

ford38v8    -- 06-23-2016 @ 12:26 PM
  With the high octane of fuel today (and even the lowest octane you can find), you'll not have a ping at any setting of the vac brake. The issue you may have if the brake is backed out too far would be erratic bouncing of the advance disc, which may evidence itself as a noticeably rough running engine at a slow cruise speed.

Alan

Grant    -- 06-25-2016 @ 3:49 AM
  Thanks, gentlemen. Appreciate your input.

I was afraid that being half-deaf was going to be a problem. That engine could have more Pings than a Chinese phone book and I'd still never hear them.

ken ct.    -- 06-25-2016 @ 4:01 AM
  Grant,run it like you just stole a bank. Sounds like its ok. I have many new leather pads if you need some.I can mail some in an envelope if you need. Screw backed out too far is no good either as mentioned above. Sounds ok where you have it. ken ct usa. Have a good time with her.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9808