Topic: Classified ad--Mike Semler

EHSON!9$0    -- 05-06-2016 @ 11:13 AM
  I have received a response to my classified ad from Mike Semler. Has anyone done business with him? He wants payment by Western Union or MoneyGram, won't send me photos of the item I want to buy nor give me a phone number.

Thanks,
Gene

CharlieStephens    -- 05-06-2016 @ 1:24 PM
  Sounds funny (scam). What are you trying to buy? Ask him what screen name he uses here, on HAMB or Fordbarn. If he is into old Fords he should be on one of those sights or have a reason why he is not. Tell him you need an address so you might be able to have someone drop off cash to him and pick up the part. What is his reason for no pictures? Then you could always email him a picture of the wrong part and ask him if that is what his part looks like.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-6-16 @ 1:27 PM

len47merc    -- 05-06-2016 @ 1:58 PM
  If it looks like it, smells like it and tastes like it, well, you can probably be assured that's what it is. Not worth the time of day to question it. Ignore and move on.

Steve

Drbrown    -- 05-06-2016 @ 8:09 PM
  I agree, has the making of a scam. If he gives you an address let me know and I'll check it out. A phone number would likely be a cell number, which is usually impossible to trace.

EHSON!9$0    -- 05-07-2016 @ 10:10 AM
  Thanks for your response. Since my post, I have received two more replies to my ad, both scams. One from Austria that sent me a photo of a restored 1951 Ford Convertible that he would take apart and send me the vent window, The other gave me a California address and sent photos of a vent window not even close to the 1951 Ford convertible. I wish there was somethig we could do to these scammers!!

Gene

Thanks,
Gene

trjford8    -- 05-07-2016 @ 5:10 PM
  MoneyGram or western union is the first tip off to a scam. Real sellers will send you photos of the correct part, have a real address in the U.S. and a real phone # that is answered. Not much can be done with these scammers, so just be on guard and ask a lot of questions. Unless it involves a lot of money the chances of prosecution are slim to none and the scammers know it. It would be nice if we could reach out and break their knuckles with a crescent wrench,. so they cannot use a computer

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9642