Topic: Wiper Arms on a 1936 Tudor

rebrown    -- 11-14-2015 @ 1:50 PM
  I can't seem to keep the wiper arms attached to the shaft on my 36 Tudor. I have lost two sets now when they are blown off the car. Any ideas or tricks on getting them to stay on?

40 Coupe    -- 11-15-2015 @ 4:19 AM
  Make sure when installing the covers the half round clip fits in the recess in the wiper shaft correctly.

flatheadfan    -- 11-16-2015 @ 1:08 AM
  I had the same problem with wiper arms blowing off of my '35 and '36. To prevent this from happening I made a simple "stop" that fit under the wiper arm. This has worked like a charm. In fact, I can drive the car at 50mph in a rain storm and have the wipers operate as normal. I couldn't do this before!

Tom

JM    -- 11-16-2015 @ 7:30 AM
  Tom, what year wiper motor and arm are you using on the car shown in your picture?

John

JM    -- 11-16-2015 @ 7:31 AM
  40 Coupe is correct about getting that little pivoting clip, at the top of the cover on the arm, located properly in the groove on the wiper motor shaft.
I had problems losing arms and blades on my '35 fordor while traveling route 50, the loneliest highway, in Nevada. I was okay at 60, but the guy I was follow in a '49 convertible decided he wanted to run at 70, and I lost a nice nos arm and blade right over the top of the car. Stopped in an old Early Ford V-8 garage in Fallon (sp?), Nevada and bought two more sets. I came up with a clear plastic suction cup that I located on the outer windshield glass to stop the wiper arm from going too high and coming off over the top.

This message was edited by JM on 11-16-15 @ 8:03 AM

flatheadfan    -- 11-17-2015 @ 12:04 AM
  John-

Nothing unique about my '35 wiper. Standard '35-'36 Trico with with a common aftermarket wiper arm.

Tom

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 11-17-15 @ 12:07 AM

rebrown    -- 11-23-2015 @ 1:17 PM
  Thanks for all the input. I am not getting notices about replies, so I didn't think I had any. Tom, that is not a standard 36 wiper arm. It doesn't have the flimsy hook and cover that I ordered and had fly off a few times. I was thinking of a newer model vacuum motor with a ribbed shaft that would keep the arm more secure. Anyone know what years will fit in a 36

trjford8    -- 11-24-2015 @ 9:00 AM
  Some of the vendors who supply and repair wiper motors have parts also. There is a "barrel sleeve" that will slip over the wiper shaft and is held on by a set screw. This allows you to use the later style arm that will actually stay on and will not be affected by the wind as much as those repo arms. I did this on a 37 and it really works well.

rebrown    -- 11-26-2015 @ 2:09 PM
  I need to send mine off to get rebuilt, I will see what I can find. I am wondering if I have it judged, would they take off points for a different wiper arm? or maybe I can just put the correct one on long enough for the judge to see it.

TomO    -- 11-27-2015 @ 9:32 AM
  When the judges see an incorrect wiper arm, they must take the deduction.

I am not sure if the drum will fit the stock 36 wiper motor, the part description is for the 37 and up cars.

I have not tried this, but by looking at the drawing of the arm on Bob Drakes site, I would try a small dab of epoxy on the end of the hook after I slid it through the hole. Then if the clip for the cover lifted off, the arm would still be held with the hook.

Tom

rebrown    -- 11-28-2015 @ 9:01 AM
  With a "barrel sleeve" I can use the newer wiper arm and still take it off and replace it with an original if I plan on showing it. Now all I have to do is find a "sleeve"
I have attached the "almost" complete 36 Tudor I have been restoring

TomO    -- 11-29-2015 @ 8:58 AM
  That is a nice looking car and I hope that you will be on the road enjoying it soon.

Bob Drake and many of the parts vendors have the "barrel sleeve" or drum.

Tom

rebrown    -- 11-29-2015 @ 9:48 PM
  Thanks much for all the help

1934 Ford    -- 12-03-2015 @ 2:35 PM
  I have the same problem when towing our 34 Fords on the open trailer at Interstate highway speeds. Blue Painters tape saves the slave driven dual wipers.
On our 35 Buick, with dual wiper motors, I used stainless steel wiper arms and flat blades from a marine supply store. (For boat windshields) They have a set screw like the old VW wiper arm and a much stronger spring to hold the blade on the glass. Not for point shows but great for driving in the rain and look almost stock.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 12-3-15 @ 2:37 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9147