Topic: 36 Tudor, doors locked !!!

kiwi al    -- 07-28-2015 @ 7:46 AM
  Hi, I am a new member and just bought a 36 Tudor, upon arrival on the transporter the car was locked up. I cannot unlock it with the key, it turns the lock ok but I still can't turn the door handle. (The passengers door has the key lock) is there anyway I can get into the car, trunk etc, any ideas ???? Thanks.

TonyM    -- 07-28-2015 @ 9:38 AM
  On these old Fords, putting the interior door handle all the way in the up position will lock the door. If your doors were closed with the interior door handles in the locked position, then the key lock in the door will not unlock the door. You might have to fish something ( a stiff wire with loop ) into the car to try and pull the interior door handle down.

78-730B

VT/JeffH    -- 07-28-2015 @ 9:41 AM
  Hi Al, I have an open car ('36 Phaeton) so I don't have door locks at all.

But I know of two friends who've had this happen to their cars, one a '40 pickup, and the other a '35 Fordor. Again, not having dealt with it personally, I recall it has to do with moving the passenger door handle forward before closing the door, which puts the lock in position to NOT be released with the key.

Someone will be along to correct me soon.

The truck was caused when a stranger locked the vehicle while it was on display, and solved going in through the rear window. I don't know but they might have taken the glass out. The Fordor took a more severe solution, further puncturing an already cracked piece of door window glass with a phillips screwdriver, and using a coat hanger from there, if I recall correctly.

If you can get into the trunk, that may work. I'm not familiar with if there's anything in the way to getting into the passenger compartment. I'd explore that first.

Otherwise see if the rear window will wind down.

Congratulations on the car, and welcome to the V8 Club forums! Good luck on the lock situation.

Once it's solved, be sure to brief other people on how the door locks work to prevent this in the future. You've just joined a club (the Locked Out club) that has many members.

-VT/JeffH

TonyM    -- 07-28-2015 @ 9:47 AM
  I am thinking he might be able to fish a really stiff wire with a loop bent at the end through the hole for the steering column or foot pedal. Get the loop on the interior door handle and pull it to the unlocked position. Then the door can be opened.

78-730B

cliftford    -- 07-28-2015 @ 12:23 PM
  Here's another idea: I see you have the hinge mounted mirrors, so it might be easy to knock out a top hinge pin. That just might give you enough gap at the top of the door to insert a thin strip of metal, such as an aluninum yard stick and push the handle down.

kiwi al    -- 07-28-2015 @ 9:22 PM
  Thanks everyone for the response and info, after trying all morning I had a locksmith come and help, we opened the pass door with rod from the drivers door through a small gap at the top of the window. Going to play with that lock and sort out how to lock it properly with your info. Thanks again, Al.

flatheadfan    -- 07-29-2015 @ 1:29 AM
  This is a common problem which usually results in having to break a window to get into the car. Unless breaking windows is a favorite pastime I have a quick fix to prevent it from happening again. Note the next two pictures.

What I do is drill a hole where the red dot is located and then simply put a bolt in nut in the hole. This will prevent the interior handle from engaging the locking mechanism. The door will work as normal. If at some later date you want to reverse this and go back to the old style just remove the bolt and nut.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 07-29-2015 @ 1:29 AM
  Picture"2

42wagon    -- 07-29-2015 @ 3:03 AM
  Back in the day this must have been a common problem. So what was recommended by Ford to deal with it?

39topless    -- 07-31-2015 @ 11:26 AM
  Next time, go in through the trunk.

trjford8    -- 08-03-2015 @ 12:37 PM
  Don't think that will work on a 36 tudor sedan. Pretty difficult to crawl into the trunk on one of those.

The problem here is the spring on the remote( where the handle is located) is broken. It allows the handle to move up or down when the door is closed and allows the door to lock itself. Replace the spring in the remote and that will solve the problem. You may also want to check the remote on the drivers side also

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-3-15 @ 12:37 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8805