Topic: oil/fuel gauge in dash

flatfoot    -- 05-08-2015 @ 8:16 PM
  No luck with finding the needed gauge for my fordor '36 touring sedan. Please, anybody know where I can buy the set or get mine repaired? I have run out of gas twice now; I trying to get my speedo repaired too.

nelsb01    -- 05-08-2015 @ 9:19 PM
  I presume you know that they are two separate gauges in a housing.
A lot of people mention Baxter Ford for gauge repair/replacement.
You could also try Little Dearborn (they are listed under Vendors on Home Page).
With the gas gauge, most of the time it is the sender in the tank that is the problem. Over time the float (whether coated cork or brass float) doesn't float any more and does not give a reading. You may want to check that also. Remove the sender from the tank. You can test the sending unit with a good digital meter. While not 100%, it will let you know if by moving the sender arm, if there is a connection within the sender.

Hope this helps.

TomO    -- 05-09-2015 @ 6:56 AM
  To test the fuel gauge and sending unit:

The dash unit and wiring can be checked by grounding the sending unit wire at the sending unit and then turning on the ignition. The gauge needle should move toward full. If it doesn't, check for 6 volts at the gauge. If you have 6 volts, the gauge is bad.

The sending unit is checked by removing it from the tank and connecting a grounding wire from the body of the sending unit to the body of the car. Turn on the ignition and move the arm of the sending unit. The gauge should follow the movement of the arm.

If it follows the movement of the arm, you will have to replace the cork float. If it does not follow the arm, either the contacts inside the unit or the heating wire is broken. In either case the unit can be repaired.

Did you contact Baxter Ford about your problems?

Tom

flatfoot    -- 05-18-2015 @ 1:01 PM
  Yes, I contaced them but they did not respond.

ford38v8    -- 05-18-2015 @ 1:27 PM
  You'll get a better response from a phone call than you will from an email.

Alan

TomO    -- 05-23-2015 @ 8:45 AM
  Check the Classifieds on this site, there is one for sale.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8502