Topic: Flathead mystery growth.

inherited40tudor    -- 04-23-2015 @ 6:30 PM
  After running a recently installed '40 motor for a few thousand miles, I noticed a very strange yellow growth on the side of the block slightly to the rear of the dipstick, along the joint of the oil pan and block. It was bright yellow, forming stalactite-like fingers jutting from it and was dry and powdery. Attached is a picture of it.

I then found the oil to be milky, indicating the presence of water.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience? Anyone interested in troubleshooting this issue and sharing their opinion as to what they think it might be?

I actually now know the answer myself, thanks to help from a Senior Member here and bolt turning of my own, but thought it would be fun and interesting to hear the opinions of others. If you are interested in knowing what I discovered, let me know and I'll post other pictures and say what I found.

ford38v8    -- 04-23-2015 @ 6:52 PM
  You lost your freeze plug. Coolant goes both in the crank case and out the side onto your pan. Never saw it happen like that myself, but that's my guess.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 04-23-2015 @ 10:19 PM
  X 2 ,replace all 4 of them,theres 2 of them on each pan rail. small about 3/4" diam. Motor will have to come out !!! ken ct.

1934 Ford    -- 04-24-2015 @ 5:37 PM
  Been there with my 35 Pickup back in 1990.
I bet it didn't get any upper engine fouling from this leak.
FREEZE PLUGS.
Pulled the engine and took the pan off to put new pennies in each plug hole (actually put two in each hole) Good opportunity to clean the pan and inspect lower cylinder walls.
I've been driving it for 25 years that way!

1934 Ford's since 1972

1934 Ford    -- 04-24-2015 @ 5:37 PM
  Been there with my 35 Pickup back in 1990.
I bet it didn't get any upper engine fouling from this leak.
FREEZE PLUGS.
Pulled the engine and took the pan off to put new pennies in each plug hole (actually put two in each hole) Good opportunity to clean the pan and inspect lower cylinder walls.
I've been driving it for 25 years that way!

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 4-26-15 @ 5:53 AM

inherited40tudor    -- 04-26-2015 @ 1:37 PM
  Who was I kidding thinking I could stump any of you here with such a problem? I was clueless (as I generally am) when Kube was the first to point out my malady.

When I installed the motor, there were no signs externally of a problem, f course. I used new "improved" water pumps that are supposed to be more efficient from a known supplier of parts. They look great, despite the removal of the Ford logo on them, (replaced with their own....) and there was no overheating.

Turns out the missing freeze plug caused corrosion to the oil pan gasket surface which eventually eroded into a hole to the exterior of the block. Maybe the higher pump pressure helped hasten the process and force the coolant into the crankcase? Photos are attached for those who are curious.

Regardless, hindsight has told me to not be in such a hurry to get on the road next time and be more careful.

As a newbie, I really appreciate the knowledge and wisdom you all share here. Thank you.

inherited40tudor    -- 04-26-2015 @ 1:38 PM
  Oil pan corrosion and hole pictured here.

keith oh    -- 04-27-2015 @ 8:16 AM
  Be sure and use copper plugs or if using pennies use pennies minted before 1982.

1934 Ford    -- 04-28-2015 @ 6:00 PM
  Keith oh,
Thanks for the tip on pennies. I have a roll of "wheat pennies" for the next time. But I'm not going back to look.

1934 Ford's since 1972

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8438