Topic: flat tire on 34 ford

johnschultz    -- 10-31-2014 @ 1:59 PM
  need help escaping the "learning curve", I have a nicely restored (four Dearborns) 34 phaeton with perfect paint on the wheels, I have a flat on the RF, have a Bob Drake hubcap removal tool. How can I break the tire down to replace the tube without damaging wheel paint?? Can I use a modern tire machine with the teflon tool covers? Remove from the front or back? Trying to make a Veterans day parade. Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 10-31-2014 @ 3:35 PM
  Modern tire machines (the air powered ones) will bend rims unless the person doing it knows what they are doing and is VERY careful. My suggestion would be to break them down yourself with tire irons. If you want someone else to do it check at shops that do a lot of truck tires.

Charlie Stephens

1934 Ford    -- 10-31-2014 @ 4:55 PM
  Either way there is a possibility of nicked paint.
On the 2014 Sentimental Tour in New Hampshire and Maine, we had two flats on our 34 Ford. Because New Hampshire has a stupid law about no tubes allowed to repair flat's, we had to do it by hand on the first flat.
On the second flat I bribed a service station to do it by machine, That was better but now I'm a criminal in their eyes.

1934 Ford's since 1972

1934 Ford    -- 10-31-2014 @ 4:59 PM
  I did meet two really great car guys in York Maine who offered their garage and help to do it by hand.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Model B    -- 11-01-2014 @ 6:07 AM
  John, I fix my flats by hand. Use your tire iron with one of those yellow bondo paddles. You can buy a bundle of those bondo paddles for a buck or two. Put the paddle against the rim between your tire iron and rim to pry against. You only need one side of tire removed from the rim...pull out the tube and check for the hole. Repair the hole. Install the tube...I put just a little air in the tube when installing. Keeps the wrinkles out. Be sure to put the valve stem in first. You can now "walk" the tire back on the rim. Works for me! Good luck, Pat

Oh, by the way....I use those same bondo paddles to remove my hubcaps. Just insert the thin edge of the paddle between the hubcap and rim and use a flat screwdriver to pry against the paddle instead of the rim. Saves a lot paint!

This message was edited by Model B on 11-1-14 @ 6:11 AM

trjford8    -- 11-02-2014 @ 6:31 AM
  In addition to Model B's advice be sure to check the tire to see what caused the flat in the first place. Sometimes it is not evident from the outside. Could be from something like a finishing nail where you can't see the head. Use a light and run your hand around the inside of the tire to check for nails etc.

cliftford    -- 11-02-2014 @ 7:50 PM
  Here's how I do it: I have a Coats air powered tire changer. On my model A and early 30's wheels I clamp them on the changer but do not use the power function. I use pieces of plastic from an old bottle to protect the paint and use regular tire irons amd sometimes a rubber mallet. This puts the tire up so its not hard on your back and you can get better leverage on the irons.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7878