Topic: engine mounts on 1936

pinnsky    -- 10-22-2014 @ 2:18 PM
  My 36 fordor delux has a 46 59AB engine. The front motor mounts appear to have 2 rubber grommets on each side which raises the front up about 1/2 inch. The tail pipe coming from the header was hitting the frame so someone took a torch to the frame.My question is can I easily remove the extra rubber grommet and safely drop the engine down, which I think would raise the pipe up and give me enough clearance?
Tom

nelsb01    -- 10-22-2014 @ 7:05 PM
  You could safely remove them, but the 'hockey pucks' are put there to dampen the vibration of the motor to the frame and control the 'torque' of the engine. Removing them could also change the angle of the engine/transmission to the drive shaft.

pinnsky    -- 10-23-2014 @ 9:19 AM
  Thanks for your input,but there are double the required number of "hockey pucks" on the mounts now. I guess putting it back to the correct mounts would be better.

nelsb01    -- 10-23-2014 @ 2:02 PM
  Sorry -- should have taken remedial reading.
If they raised it up to try and clear, yet cut the frame --- well, I guess you will have to do some 'trial and error' and see. The only reason I could see to raise it up would be because the tail pipe was hanging down to low and showed from the side.
Use a floor jack and a 2 by 4 to lift the pressure off the front of the engine and the mounts.
Once you remove one set you should be able to determine if there is now room for the tail pipe and frame and how it looks.

TomO    -- 10-24-2014 @ 7:08 AM
  Check the clearance between the crank pulley and the front cross-member. The front of the engine was probably raised for a clearance issue or an alignment issue. Maybe someone with a 36 can chime in and give a reason for the double donuts.

The frame was probably cut because it was easier to do that, rather than remove the exhaust pipe and bend it to fit. Removing the exhaust pipe on your car means that you will have to jack up the engine enough to get clearance to move the exhaust pipe forward to clear the frame.

Tom

pinnsky    -- 10-24-2014 @ 1:18 PM
  Thanks for the ideas.
Tom,
Is the exhaust on the 46 engine bigger than the 36 where it goes thru the first frame member? It seems to be 2 1/2-3 inches. Wouls a 36 exhaust set up bolt onto the 46 without modifications?
Thanks
Tom

trjford8    -- 10-26-2014 @ 6:41 PM
  Sounds like someone has modified the exhaust system. The stock diameter of the exhaust should be 1 3/4 inches. That holds true right up through 1948 and possibly later.

supereal    -- 10-27-2014 @ 1:33 PM
  Anyone who cuts a frame to clear the exhaust should be hung! Find a good muffler shop and have them make up a pipe with the correct clearance with the right motor mounts in place. Depending upon where and how much the frame was cut, it should be inspected and repaired for safety.

flatheadfan    -- 11-10-2014 @ 12:09 AM
  I have run into this problem a couple of times. Basically, what you are trying to do is mount a '37 type engine into a '36. If you look at a stock '37 engine exhaust you will see where the front exhaust pipe goes through the frame has been flattened to clear the frame hole sides. It looks somewhat crude but this is how the factory handled the problem. If you use a stock '35-'36 exhaust pipe it will rest on the frame. A clue that things are not going well is the difficultly of trying to attach the right '35-'36 exhaust manifold on a '37-'48 engine. The manifold will bolt up to the block without a problem but will not align the front '35-'36 exhaust pipe correctly The frame interference makes it difficult. Evidently, some prior owner attempted to resolve the problem by cutting the frame for clearance (DUMB). The simplest solution is to remove the double stacked rubber pads and use only one and get a '37-40 front exhaust pipe. Everything should line up correctly.

Hope this helps.

Tom

pinnsky    -- 11-10-2014 @ 4:49 PM
  Thanks to all for the great advice!
Tom

wmsteed    -- 11-12-2014 @ 10:24 AM
  The 24 stud engines, including the 59, A&B's are very simple to mount into a '35-36 Ford if you use the '36 log type of exhaust manifolds.. See attached pix.
If later model Ford manifolds are used, and/or headers, clearance issues will arise, therefore resulting in spacers on the mounts or cutting the frame..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7843