Topic: HOW TO CONNECT ADDITIONAL DIRECTIONAL LIGHTS

murphy 1941    -- 09-24-2014 @ 9:13 PM
  Thanks for all the help up to this point to everyone . It's made my life a lot easier. My current project is hooking up on my 1941, the back up lights mounted on the rear bumper to work in conjunction with my rear directionals that are within my current stop lights.
No one can see these directionals within the stop lights and I have to use arm signals all the time. ADIAGRAM OF SORT TO ASSIST ME ON WIRING THEM UP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. right now I'm trying to figure it out from my Ford manual. Appreciate help on this. John

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

Drbrown    -- 09-24-2014 @ 11:17 PM
  Others here may offer more definitive advice but be careful not to overload your flasher unit device. Using white-colored lights as directional lights may be confusing to drivers behind you and may not be legal in your state. I recommend you instead consider using a small-thin red-colored LED strip light unit as I installed in my rear window. Do a search in the forums for "directional lights' to find the company in CT. If you have trouble PM me. It attaches to the inside of the glass with two very small suction cups and is thus removable. It functions as a brake light as well as a directional indicator. Easy to wire. The significant benefits are that it uses very little electrical current AND gets the indicator lighting up at eye level where the driver behind you will notice it the most. Cost is low and I'm very happy with the company and the results.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 9-24-14 @ 11:22 PM

murphy 1941    -- 09-25-2014 @ 9:26 AM
  Thanks DrBrown, I have one of those for the Model A but on the 41, it's split window in rear so I found LED bulbs 6v that are Red they have to be mounted horizontal in the fixture which is ok if I find the right lights that have the necessary room two bulbs top is facing straight out . On the wiring I will eventually figure it out using my limited electricity knowledge lol John

murphy 1941    -- 09-25-2014 @ 11:00 AM
  D BrBrown, you are correct , I was thinking of the wrong car , I can and will put one of those lights on the 41, don't know what I was thinking. Wife has been out of hospital only two an half months, still a long way to go. My thinking is a little slow as not too much rest . Thanks again you saved me a lot of work . John

supereal    -- 09-25-2014 @ 11:43 AM
  If you want the backup lights to function as turn signals, you simply move the wires from the backup lights to the wires feeding the stoplight side of the taillight assembly on each side. Look for the wires with the green color, which is correct for '41. To be legal, the backups will have to be fitted with yellow bulbs. If the new load is too much for the flasher, you may have to replace it with a "heavy duty" type.

Drbrown    -- 09-25-2014 @ 7:25 PM
  murphy1941: Supereal's procedure looks pretty simple. After changing the wiring, you could just put an amp meter on the circuit to see what size flasher unit you should be using. I found my paperwork regarding the rear window LED strip I'm using and its made by J & L Enterprises in Ellington CT 860-916-3582 but it sounds like you may already have that info. I was very pleased with them .... they did not charge my account until after I installed the unit and was satisfied with it. Keep us posted about the outcome. It will help others here.

murphy 1941    -- 10-23-2014 @ 6:13 PM
  Having problem with directional light when the lights on car are on. The right one works the left doesn't after I solve this I will put the third strip light in right now I am confused but that's nornal with me , at my age, I tried a lot of things but so far no luck

Drbrown    -- 10-23-2014 @ 10:20 PM
  Without knowing which wires you're working with, sounds like you just need to keep trying until you find the ones that work. Since you got the right one working you're close.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7760