Topic: 42-48 Ford convertible hydraulics

52Ragtop    -- 08-30-2014 @ 9:12 AM
  A guy on one of the other sights is looking for pump parts for his '46. That got me to thinking I have never seen the system... From what I know it is hydraulic and the pump is mounted to the firewall.. I don't have a Ford like that and probably never will although I really like them.. Curious if anyone has a picture of the pump etc mounted on the car?? Strictly for my edification.. A system diagram would be fine too.

supereal    -- 08-30-2014 @ 2:00 PM
  The pump is located on the left (driver) side of the firewall, under the hood. It has a starter type motor on the top, and a fluid reservoir on the bottom, held in place by a wire bail. Both the hydraulic output and the wiring connect to a combination valve on the firewall. A dash knob runs that switch via a rod from a knob under the dash. There is an excellent pictorial of the pump and the whole system on page 301 of the 1944-1952 body parts catalog. As soon as my computer system is repaired, I can post it. If you want me to scan it and mail it to you, leave your address in the personal message box of this site. This catalog is sold by C&G as item V-44, $52. For those with different years, check page 20 in the online C&G catalog. It is at www.cgfordparts.com

52Ragtop    -- 08-31-2014 @ 9:31 AM
  Thanks,, eBay can be a great tool,, Found a '46 for sale on eBay and pictures show it as you said.. Missed it when I looked earlier.. Now how similar to a starter motor is the motor on the pump.. Could a starter be modified to work?

52Ragtop    -- 08-31-2014 @ 9:33 AM
  Here is a pic of the components from a 47

supereal    -- 08-31-2014 @ 3:33 PM
  I tried to locate a used pump with no luck. All were damaged by freezing. As brake fluid was used, any moisture accumulated in the reservoir where the pump vanes are located, causing breakage. I decided to use an aftermarket pump from Hydro-E-Lectric, as well as a new pair of cylinders and plumbing. The only problem I encountered was that the switch supplied with the pump wasn't adequate, so I designed and built a control for the system. You can see Hydro's web site at www.hydroelectric.com. If you have any questions, let me know. Bob S, MAS Auto & Machine, Iowa City IA.

flathead48    -- 09-01-2014 @ 3:44 AM
  I am looking for the control valve if anyone has an extra? Thanks

52Ragtop    -- 09-01-2014 @ 10:20 AM
  Could one be welded and remachined?

supereal    -- 09-01-2014 @ 1:58 PM
  It depends on whether it is the electrical or hydraulic part of the switch that is bad. The use of brake fluid in the original system usually destroys most of the existing system parts. I had to replace the pump, cylinders and tubing in my '47 due to corrosion. My system now uses ATF as the fluid. Hydro-E-Lectric used
to rebuild pumps and controls. The pumps used to sell for about $700, rebuilding was about half that. Their tech line is 508/832-3081. I don't know if Convertible Service is still in business. Their tech line is (or was) 818/285-2255. I used aftermarket parts, as they were less costly, and for except the pump, can't be seen, anyway. The old pump can be left on the firewall for appearance, with the new one behind the rear seat.

52Ragtop    -- 09-01-2014 @ 3:52 PM
  I am running a Hydro electric hydraulic in my '52 Merc also.. 52 FoMoCo had the idea that mechanical screw jacks would some how be superior.. They switched back to hydraulic in Ford in 54 and Merc in 55.. Regardless I got tired of all the relay issues etc and switched, Haven't looked back.. I really should sell the screw system but for now I will set on it. Mostly just curious about the earlier hydraulics I like your idea of upgrade to a later system.

supereal    -- 09-03-2014 @ 12:34 PM
  Cost was the basic reason I opted for the aftermarket system. Most of the original parts were either missing or inoperable. I am not a purist, I just wanted to be able to raise and lower the top as required. The pump works by reversing the polarity. One way is up and the other way is down. The pump came with a simple double pole/double throw toggle switch. It simply couldn't handle the power demand, so I designed and installed a relay system to do the job, operating it from the supplied switch. I assume you could convert a jack screw top to hydraulic If the cylinders will fit the space and have the correct extension.

52Ragtop    -- 09-03-2014 @ 12:42 PM
  Actually Ford went to hydraulic under the seat in 54 so it was a direct fir,, So far I haven't had a problem with the supplied switch.. Thinking about trying to wire up the original Merc T handle switch... I found the guy a 49 unit that needs rebuilt so hopefully he is good to go.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7679