Topic: replacement of gas tank on 1938 ford sedan deluxe

stormy    -- 05-04-2014 @ 6:41 PM
  Is there a way to remove the gas tank without raising the body off the frame to clear it? I bought a new tank but the old one will not clear the frame to come out.

ford38v8    -- 05-04-2014 @ 8:26 PM
  I haven't done this job, but as I understand, application of some friendly persuasion with a pry bar is usually required.

Alan

Frosty    -- 05-06-2014 @ 5:48 PM
  This story won't help with your problem but it may help others trying to replace their original tank on a 1938 Deluxe Fordor.

I took mine out while the body was off. I ordered a new one from Bob Drake. While I was waiting for the backorder to come, I installed the old one just to make sure it would go in from the bottom (I had re-installed the body while waiting for the new tank, 6 months). The original tank did go in from the bottom, but I thought it would have gone in slicker if I had ground 1/8th inch from the RH front/side corner.

Well, the new one finally came and I attempted to install, but it wouldn't go in. I guess I should have measured before attempting to install. Turns out the new tank is 1/4" longer than the original. It will absolutely not go in from the bottom. My car is on a lift.
Fortunately, I've got a 1939 sedan that will undergo a body off restoration next year, and I'll keep the tank for that one. Meantime, I'm trying to find a tank that is the correct size as per the original. In this area,the cost of cleaning and relining the original is double the price of a new tank.

Long story short, I put my original tank in and out from the bottom,. I don't know why yours wouldn't come out through the bottom, unless it's been changed already?

Pauls39    -- 05-07-2014 @ 5:53 AM
  I had the same problem with a Drake's tank on my 1939.
There is a slight bump out on the left side that needs to be flattened about a 1/4 inch. Next grind about 1/8 inch off the right side flange. The tank should then go in from the bottom like the stock tank.
Note that the hole for the sending unit is too small for a stock Ford sender. Either open it up or buy Drake's sending unit. Grind with the tank upside down and vacuum out the chips.

trjford8    -- 05-07-2014 @ 8:24 AM
  stormy, to get the old one out you may need a pry bar to pry the tank over towards the driver's side. You may also need to pry the driver's side inner fender panel away from the frame a little to allow the old tank to be pried towards the left side. In the past I have pried the inner panel away from the frame and lodged a piece of 1"X4" between the panel and the frame to keep it out of the way. Some tanks on some models are just a little more difficult to remove than others.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7291