Topic: Shift linkage

silverchief    -- 04-24-2014 @ 1:28 PM
  In reading from an original Service Manual for my 46 regarding installation of the transmission: "With the gearshift lever in neutral position, see that the connecting rods line up with the holes in the transmission shift levers (adjust as required)

Does that mean as long as the holes in the trans levers line up with the connecting rods - there is no way the rods can be adjusted incorrectly? I ask because when shifting from first into second, as soon as I enter neutral, I can feel through the shift lever
the relief of very strong pressure off a shaft somewhere.

It just doesn't feel normal. The trans was recently rebuilt, and shifts easily through all gears.

kubes40    -- 04-24-2014 @ 2:58 PM
  It appears some of the instructions were absent in your reference book.
The gear shift lever must be in (and remain in)the 3 o'clock position.
The pair of levers near the cowl must be in line with one another as well as parallel to the ground. In other words, they must both be at the three o'clock position (level).
With the transmission in neutral and the rods attached to the arms (mentioned previously) the bottom clevis should go over it's respective arm on the transmission without interference.
I will add that you must be certain the grommets are not worn out and the arms on the transmission are likewise - not worn.

supereal    -- 04-24-2014 @ 6:11 PM
  Mike has giver you the right advice IF the shift tube is free of slop, and the moving key fits the groove in the shift arms. Any deviation will confuse the side cover blocker, making shifts bind before the shift can be completed. It was common to miss the grease fitting where the arms extend to the rods, resulting in excess wear. Watch the action of the arms while someone works the shift lever to see if everything moves easily, and the arms return to a parallel position in neutral

40 Coupe    -- 04-25-2014 @ 5:05 AM
  Ford isolated the vibration from the transmission to the shift linkage with the rubber bushings. If you can feel something unusual with the column shift lever in the neutral position you may want to look into the spring and pin 01A-7219 & 01A-7227 these would have the most effect on the shift lever when entering the neutral position as well as the tube 01A-7209 being able to move and the pin 7337 to the two slots in the shift levers 7303 &7302. All of these align or move properly at neutral give you a smooth shift. The spring 7227 should hold the shift lever down into the 2-3 pattern and minor effort with one finger should overcome this to put the lever in the R-1 pattern.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 4-25-14 @ 5:10 AM

silverchief    -- 04-25-2014 @ 10:19 AM
  In neutral, the levers at the cowl line up - and are parallel to the ground. The grommets are new and the shafts are lubricated. The rebuilder originally installed a bad gear which had to be replaced. I wonder if a newly installed bearing might also be bad.
If so I'm just going to have to live with it.
Thanks for the helpful input.

supereal    -- 04-25-2014 @ 6:25 PM
  It is more likely that the sliding gear is binding on the shaft. This can be due to ill fitted synchronizers, or a burred shaft. It is possible it will loosen up with age. If not, it will probably need to come out. In most cases, whatever was last done is the cause of a new problem.

silverchief    -- 04-26-2014 @ 12:16 PM
  Thanks Bob - maybe I'll drop a crate Chevy engine and
automatic transmission in it - and be money ahead.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7258