Topic: 47 ford trunk emblem

flathead47    -- 04-23-2014 @ 6:18 PM
  Looking for a picture of what an original trunk emblem mounting stud/bolt assembly looks like. Mine has been repaired with epoxy holding the studs/bolt & broke. Trunk has 3 holes for 3 mounting bolts but mine only had 2 & the repo ones only have 2. I understand the original Ford emblem used 3 with some sort of mounting plate.

Old Henry    -- 04-23-2014 @ 7:44 PM
  Here is the back of my original emblem showing the three mounting bolts attached to the emblem by stainless mounting plates. They were originally brazed to the emblem but all of mine have come off and I've secured them with epoxy as shown. This is the first of four pictures.

Old Henry    -- 04-23-2014 @ 7:45 PM
  2nd picture of right end connection

Old Henry    -- 04-23-2014 @ 7:46 PM
  Third picture of center connection

Old Henry    -- 04-23-2014 @ 7:47 PM
  4th picture of left connection

Hope these help

flathead47    -- 04-23-2014 @ 9:18 PM
  Thanks Old Henry , looks like the bolts are 1/4 inch coarse thread , mine had small machine screws no plates. I will fix it now the way Henry produced them.

supereal    -- 04-24-2014 @ 6:52 AM
  If your trunk "spear" has screws instead of threaded studs, it is likely a repro. I have repaired loose studs with epoxy, JB weld, etc, but they usually manage to work loose over time. I made a rubber gasket to reduce the tension of being pulled down to the curved lid, as well. Bob Drake has an excellent repro that is a more permanent fix.

flathead47    -- 04-24-2014 @ 10:17 AM
  Thanks Supereal , I think it is original just not repaired correctly as it did have machine screws used only on the ends embeded in silicon. I am going to make up the proper mounting plates with the studs. Are they 1/4 inch studs , stainless & how long do you think they would be. I have a friend that is a good stainless welder so am going to try tacking the new plate assemblies in. The rubber gasket you made was it just under the studs or under the whole emblem

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7256