Topic: 53 Victoria....WS washer bottle.

BERTHA    -- 04-18-2014 @ 5:32 PM
  I believe this windshield washer was a dealer add-on when new, can anyone confirm.
It operates with a pump bulb on the floor.
Noticed it was cracked while doing the Spring get-ready today.
It may be a standard size jar but finding a 'glass' one may be difficult.

Guess it just gave up after 60+ years, it's always been empty during Winter
storage.

Bob

"it's only original once""

trjford8    -- 04-18-2014 @ 6:10 PM
  That washer bottle was probably used for many years and I suspect you can find one on e-Bay.

MG    -- 04-18-2014 @ 8:32 PM
  BERTHA,

I don't believe it's a "dealer add-on" or after market item but rather it's a Ford authorized accessory. My original '53 Customline has the same setup. I have seen them on eBay on occasion. Martini olives supplied to bars/gin joints came in jars like this...

BERTHA    -- 04-19-2014 @ 7:01 AM
  Thanks for the heads up on the olive jar.
Already found a Valic Dill Pickle jar thats the right diameter but not tall enough. Encouraging!!

I'm just mad that it broke under my watch.
Not much has been changed on the 'old girl', it's a Family car since new and a tear was shed....DW just doesn't understand.

Bob

TomO    -- 04-19-2014 @ 7:54 AM
  Ford offered 2 styles of washers in 1953. The foot pump and the vacuum operated. The foot pump was the more reliable of the 2. The vacuum operated seemed to fail every winter when the salt spray was the thickest.

There were 2 versions of the vacuum operated pump, one had a brass housing for the pump and the other had a plastic housing. The plastic housing would last until the new car warranty expired, if you bought your car in May.

There are several different bottles, so get measurements from the seller, to ensure that you get the correct bottle.

I used to carry the rebuild kit for the brass housing in my 53 Mercury all the time. It did not take any tools to rebuild it, so when it failed, I just found a good parking space and rebuilt it in the car.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-19-14 @ 7:56 AM

c-gor    -- 04-19-2014 @ 4:55 PM
  Bertha
As Tom O has stated the Foot Operated windshield washer is an authorized Ford accessory. I had the same problem, attempting to find a correct bottle. I searched the grocery stores and found a bottle of pickled peppers. The size was correct. I dumped out the peppers, washed the bottle and still have it 15 years later. I have attached a schematic of the system

52Ragtop    -- 04-19-2014 @ 7:35 PM
  I have several bottles and several brackets.. All vac operated all plastic pumps,, Not sure what year any of them are but more than willing to work with you on it.

BERTHA    -- 05-10-2014 @ 1:51 PM
  To whomever is interested....this is the official un-official FoMoCo authorized replacement 1953 Ford pump on the floor washer bottle.

Just have to finish the d*mn things.....

Bob

TomO    -- 05-12-2014 @ 6:39 AM
  I would be afraid that those peppers would clog the nozzles. Do you add any water to the vinegar?

Tom

BERTHA    -- 05-12-2014 @ 7:16 PM
  It will stay empty, 'cept at the shows.

Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7241