Topic: 1939 rear axel

V8JR    -- 04-17-2014 @ 9:38 AM
  What is the correct torque for the rear axel nut securing the brake drum to the axel? Any tips on properly installing the brake drum onto the axel? Thanks for any info - Jimbo

ford38v8    -- 04-17-2014 @ 9:53 AM
  Jimbo, the torque should be 160-180 ft lbs according to Ford. Most guys don't have a torque wrench and just stand on the wrench. Couple of tips:

Use a marker pen or a file to indicate the orientation of the cotter pin hole on the end of the axle. This will help as you tighten the nut. Never back the nut off to find the hole.

Check the condition of the axle taper. Therte should be no burrs or rough high spots. If there are burrs, dress them down with a file. Excess roughness can be removed also: Install the drum without the key, and with grinding compound. Tighten the nut just tighrt enough to prevent wobble, and turn the drum by hand to lap it to the drum. Take care to clean off all the compound before installing.

Inspect the key and the axle: No wear on the key at all. It should fit snug with no play. The axles have a tendency to crack at the inside end of the keyway. Even a small crack at this location will break the axle eventually, usually at a dangerous or inconvenient time.

Install the hub on the axle clean and dry. No lubrication whatsoever.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 04-17-2014 @ 11:06 AM
  Not exactly on topic but be sure to install safety hubs or safety clips while you are at it.

Charlie Stephens

V8JR    -- 04-19-2014 @ 10:11 PM
  Thanks guys for the info - much help - Jimbo

JM    -- 04-21-2014 @ 4:52 AM
  I have never personally seen the Ford spec on axle nut torque, but there was a article in a '98 V8 Times that said Ford service bulletins stated 200-225 ft pounds, so I have been using that spec to torque mine.

John

supereal    -- 04-21-2014 @ 5:16 AM
  We use a "breaker bar" with a pipe handle extension. Be sure you have the specially hardened nuts. I have yet to twist off an axle end.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7237