Topic: HOW MUCH?

Lenny    -- 04-16-2014 @ 7:59 AM
  I may have the opportunity to buy a 36 3 window coupe from a friend.
You may have seen it in the V8 Time mag. "Their Still Out There."
No engine, solid frame, unmolested body.
I really have no idea what it's worth.
The potential is there for a total restoration.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Lenny

cliftford    -- 04-16-2014 @ 10:55 AM
  Several suggestions: Hire an antique car appraiser to do a conmplete apprasial, Get a knowlegable club member to look at it, and get a copy of the old car value guide or similar publication at a bookstrore or news stand. Be prepared to spend more money on restoration than it will sell for when completed.

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2014 @ 1:05 PM
  Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I don't see enough there to warrant hiring an appraiser for. Looks like a whole lot of horse pucky to me.

Alan

mrtexas    -- 04-16-2014 @ 5:49 PM
  Here is how I'd do it. Find a very nicely restored 4 door 36. They are the least expensive of body styles. Add that cost to what you can get the 3 window for. Then see if you can buy an already restored 3 window for the total plus a new 3 window interior and paint/body work required on the 3 window cab and rear fenders.. I'd then buy the 4 door and put the 3 window body on it. I'm betting this would be the cheapest way to restore the 3 window. I'm also betting you would be under water.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 4-16-14 @ 5:51 PM

supereal    -- 04-16-2014 @ 7:27 PM
  I have been restoring for a very long time, and have several "musts". The vehicle must run and drive, and have a valid current title. It must be reasonably complete, as the time and expense to locate and purchase even the smallest parts can eat away any hope of getting the value out of it when the inevitable time comes to sell. Unless you have very deep pockets, or reasonable command of the tools and techniques necessary, tackling such a project can usually end up abandoned. In today's slack market, fully restored vehicles can be had for a fraction of restoration costs. If the body of your "find" has any hope of redemption, it is likely only a street rodder would be interested due to the rarety of the body style.

1934 Ford    -- 04-17-2014 @ 5:56 AM
  Lenny,
If you want the body for a vintage stock car, it's worth about $600. Otherwise it's worthless as a restoration project. Every part on it need major restoration, not just cleaning and painting, Look at the firewall & floor all torched out.
Re-read Supereal and listen to his advice. While the 3 window is rare, it's not restorable for less than twice what it will be worth when done (If it's done right, to professional standards)
Interesting find, but not for restoration. Maybe for yard art or a goat mountain.

1934 Ford's since 1972

MICHV8    -- 04-17-2014 @ 6:53 AM
  I haven't seen the article, but make sure the frame over the rear axle is not rotted out. Tail pan is usually rusted. If the fenders, quarter panels, door bottoms, etc. are solid, then it might be a nice project assuming the interior is complete. Paul Bradley makes a nice floor pan (and a nice waiting period as well!) Go in with your eyes wide open.

JM    -- 04-18-2014 @ 6:07 AM
  It's difficult to give an opinion of value from a picture. From what I think I can see, there is definitely something there worth saving. You wouldn't need to do a 1000 point restoration. Maybe just bring it back to be a nice driver and enjoy it. 3w coupe are difficult to find. Just don't pay too much for what's there.

John

JM    -- 04-18-2014 @ 9:09 AM

This message was edited by JM on 4-18-14 @ 1:03 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 04-18-2014 @ 10:48 AM
  Depends what you want to do with the car. Are you going to hot rod it? From the picture you can see someone has cut the firewall for a battery box. How are the quarters and floors? If you are going to restore the car to show quality you might want to look for a better car. I restored a "basket case" Model A and the search for some of the part's was a pain, but gave me something to look for at Hershey. How about more pictures!

JM    -- 04-18-2014 @ 12:59 PM

This message was edited by JM on 4-18-14 @ 1:01 PM

CharlieStephens    -- 04-18-2014 @ 1:50 PM
  In addition to what has been covered in the other posts my main concern would be the condition of the undercarriage. It looks like it has been sitting in something that may have totally destroyed the undercarriage. If you decide to go ahead be sure to price out the whole project. You would probably be better off buying a restored car or at least one in better condition. Hate to say it but I have been there and done that.

Charlie Stephens

trjford8    -- 04-18-2014 @ 6:15 PM
  If you make the decision to buy it make sure it has the hard to find pieces such as the window garnish moldings, etc. Keep in mind if there is no grille or hood and the front fenders are not savable you are looking at another $2000-2500. Out here in California a good grille is $1000, a good hood is $500 and the two front fenders will easily bring another $1000

This message was edited by trjford8 on 4-18-14 @ 6:16 PM

tommorookian    -- 04-19-2014 @ 4:33 AM
  Heck, I paid $3K for a lot less car that was a 5 window. It was a real rust bucket but, today (and $30K later) it's a daily driver. I could easily sell it for half of what I put into it (not counting about 4,000 hours of labor).

3 windows are hard to find at any price. In parts alone your pictured on could net an easy $2,000.

So much depends on what you intend to do with it. A full resto will cost more than you could sell it $20K into it. If your a DYI guy -go for it!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7232