Topic: 36 window garnish fuzzy sticks

MICHV8    -- 04-16-2014 @ 6:20 AM
  Are the fuzzy sticks (I guess some call them "cat whiskers") held to the window garnish with clips? The door frame has small holes so I assume the fuzzy sticks are held to that with small screws? Thanks!

TomO    -- 04-16-2014 @ 6:44 AM
  Mine were held on to the inside trim by round wire staples. I made my own staples by bending wire in the U-shape and using a small drill to make holes in the fuzzy strips, I was able to put the wire through the fuzzy strips and bend them over to look like staples.

The ones on the door were held on by small flathead screws. My car is a 40 Merc, but I think that they used the same system on the 36.

Tom

MICHV8    -- 04-17-2014 @ 6:42 AM
  Thanks Tom. I admit I'm having a little difficulty visualizing how the u shape staple mounts to the flat of the window garnish, but I'll give it a go...

TomO    -- 04-18-2014 @ 6:54 AM
  The ends that are to be folded go into the window garnish molding. The U has a flat bottom like a staple.

Tom

MICHV8    -- 04-19-2014 @ 4:52 AM
  Tom,
My original window garnish (glass side)is flat with no factory holes, so the staples would need to somehow wrap around the flat which seems clumsy and mysterious to me. I dug through a parts cabinet and actually found a package of the staples and the small raven door frame screws apparently from another project. My question: the staples look like a somewhat difficult way to attach the felt, so why not drill pilot holes in the window garnish and attach the "fuzzy sticks" the same way they are attached to the door frame? Other than a minor judging deduction (not a concern for me), any drawbacks? Thanks for your time!

TomO    -- 04-19-2014 @ 8:06 AM
  My car had the holes drilled and the staples were still in the holes, holding the worn out fuzzy strips in place.

If your car does not have the holes, you could glue them on with a good contact weatherstrip cement. On the inside the cement should last as long as the strips.

There are no drawback to using the screws. You cannot see them when they are installed. The pile hides them.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7231