Topic: Generator Belt Length.?

FLTHDCPE    -- 07-23-2012 @ 7:36 PM
  Can anyone give me the correct ( Ford ) length of the Generator belt length and where is this info available.? "Bob Drake" has a belt listed in his "Spring & Summer Sale" catalog, pg 43. part # 78-8620-C, application,1942-48 Car & Pickup."inside cirumference 50.06" ?? Where is this info coming from?
I purchased this belt as being the correct one and attempted to install it on my 46 Ford Engine. No way.!!
The belt that I took off measured close to 52" and the one that I ended up installing this time was purchased at my local "NAPA" dealer. It measures 53" at my request and fits perfectly.!! Bob says that I'm doing something wrong or that I don't know what I'm doing,his belt is the correct one for this application.
I'm wondering where he is coming up with this dimension as I can not find it anywhere. I would be glad to hear from anyone that knows more about this than Bob and Me.
Thank You,Steve.

supereal    -- 07-23-2012 @ 8:54 PM
  The usual reason a stock belt won't fit is due to an incorrect generator. When using a modern belt, be sure the contour and pitch is correct. The old pulleys may not grip the belt securely. I think Drake's people are trained to say that it is correct, and no one else has complained. We have had that problem with them, most recently when their trunk hinges were incorrect. They said my car must not be original. Drake is a pillar of the old Ford hobby, and they need to review their service, in my opinion.

TomO    -- 07-24-2012 @ 9:34 AM
  I have no idea where Bob Drake gets his belt measurements. His belts have not fit for the past 15 years and there have been many complaints about them, including a face to face one by me at Dearborn 2003.

I don't have the measurements for the 78-8620-C but the 78-8620-A is 51.3". The B suffix is 50.1" an is used on the 39 with the aluminum intake manifold.

The belt should be .68" wide at the maximum and the pulley groove is .28".

These measurements are from the Service Bulletins, cooling specifications. My book stops at 1940, so it doesn't show the C suffix length.

The angle of the belts available today, seems to be different and I have found that any belt shorter than 52" inside length will not fit a car with the cast iron intake manifold.

Tom

oldford2    -- 07-24-2012 @ 4:10 PM
  This problem has been going on for several years. ALL the vendors must buy from the same source because they all sell incorrect belts. So, why pay their high price and shipping for an incorrect part. Just go to your local NAPA, Carquest, etc. and bring your old belt. They will match it to theirs and you are on your way. UNLESS you want to pay extra for a belt that has a Ford Script on it but doesn't fit.
John

ps. I have a Ford script belt I bought from Carpenter 6 years ago and it is hanging in my shop. Does not fit!

This message was edited by oldford2 on 7-24-12 @ 4:24 PM

FLTHDCPE    -- 07-24-2012 @ 6:03 PM
  Thanks fellows for your responce to my inquiry. This question has been forward to "Bob Drake's" R & D for further review. They did take the call and advised me that they would look into it. I might add that these are the same people that told me that I didn't know what I was doing.! So we'll see. So far no reply.!!
I'll let you know of any further developments.
Steve

Don Rogers    -- 07-24-2012 @ 8:24 PM
  78-8620-C is listed as the correct belt for your 46. 1947 Dealer Specification Service Bul list the inside length (circum.) as being 50.43". So Bob's belt is close while not exact. The original belt specified by Ford is no where near 53"

kubes40    -- 07-25-2012 @ 6:00 AM
  TomO, I can only add that the "C" belt was put in to production around May or June of 1940. That was to be used with the redesigned (smaller) generator pulley also put in to production at that time.
I do not have the length handy but it would have been shorter than the "A" belt.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4968