Topic: Fordomatic vent?

buford8    -- 03-14-2012 @ 4:49 PM
  Anyone know if there is a vent or pressure relief device on the '51 Fordomatic transmission? I have a problem with my trans that seems to leak at the front seal after driving it for a few miles...it doesn't leak if I just run it while standing still...crazy huh?

supereal    -- 03-15-2012 @ 9:40 AM
  First, be sure the leak is actually transmission fluid, not engine oil from the rear main seal. This commonly shows as a leak from the air discharge duct of the transmission. Other places to suspect are the converter cover gasket, the front pump oil seal, the transmission pan gasket and drain plug seal, the converter rear hub seal, and the two O rings that seal the shifters. You will also find two pipe plugs on either side of the case that are known to leak. As the leak shows up after driving a few miles, when the fluid is hot, my best guess would be the converter seal, as the pressure rises when the engine speed is increased. If the leak is severe, it will require pulling the unit, a job for an experienced transmission shop that actually knows about the early Ford-O-Matics. The torque specs for the parts is critical, and if you need them, I'll post the list.

trjford8    -- 03-15-2012 @ 10:31 AM
  In addition to Bob's advice, I believe the vent for the Ford-o-Matic is the fill tube.

buford8    -- 03-15-2012 @ 4:51 PM
  Thanks for the input fellas...I have removed the trans and the front seal is damaged...looks like it was bent upon install...Think I will put a complete overhaul kit in it...'51 Fordomatic doesn't have a fill tube, just an access hole in the floor. Buford8

trjford8    -- 03-15-2012 @ 6:45 PM
  Thanks for the info on the lack of a fill tube.I suspect the cap where you add trans fluid may be a vented cap.

buford8    -- 03-16-2012 @ 7:24 PM
  Yup, after I got the transmission out I discovered a vent near the top of the case...it looks a lot like some I have seen on differentials...1/8 pipe thread with a loose top. Waiting for the rebuild kit from Mac's...

trjford8    -- 03-17-2012 @ 7:21 AM
  Be sure to check the vent to make sure it is clean inside. I ususally find the ones on the rear ends are plugged up and need cleaning.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4454