Topic: 48 Ford Radio Speaker

bigvince    -- 03-14-2012 @ 12:12 PM
  The radio speaker in my 48 Woodie was shot and discarded by my brother. A 6x9 will fit length and width but does anyone know the maximum depth the speaker can be with the stock radio? So far the shortest I have found is 2 5/8. What will clear the top of the radio?

239al    -- 03-14-2012 @ 6:22 PM
  I had a difficult time installing the radio on my 1947 Ford because the top of the radio hit the bottom on the speaker. I had to remove the lower bolts that attached the dash to the sheet metal and then loosen the studs that hold the steering column to the dash. My son pulled out on the bottom of the dash as I pushed up on the radio and it finally slid into place. The bottom of the speaker nestles in the "dent" atop the radio.

The point is, it's a tight fit. I would measure the depth of a stock speaker and find another speaker the same size or smaller.

Al M.

fsacht    -- 03-14-2012 @ 7:30 PM
  Go to www.turnswitch.com
That's S/M Electro-tech,Inc. They sell a 6X9 4ohm speaker designed for the Ford, Mercury 42-48 stock radio. Also supply the three pin connector with lead to connect to your touchbar radio. $39.95 for the speaker and $7.50 for the lead. Just bought one for my 42 Merc. call 763-780-2861. The radio will go right in. Sound quality great.

42guy    -- 03-15-2012 @ 4:38 PM
  I got the same speaker and they fit.
If you buy the auto store speakers, they have a larger magnet and it's a tough fit.

Old Henry    -- 03-15-2012 @ 10:22 PM
  I couldn't get modern car speakers to fit - the magnets were way too big. I had to find the original style speaker with the small magnet to work and it fit just fine without any struggle, of course.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

bigvince    -- 03-16-2012 @ 9:27 AM
  Many thanks! I can avoid using the ballpeen to make it fit now!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4450