Topic: 1937 Phaeton Exhaust system - in 37 Ford Book

ravi.avalur    -- 02-05-2012 @ 11:03 PM
  On Page 2-13 of The 1937 Ford Book, there is a picture of a lovely 37 Roadster in the lower left hand corner. It is a Paul Oman photo of an Alan Engelseer car. It has been mentioned that the black top is not authentic. Looking closely at the picture, it seems to have dual tail pipes. They do look lovely and I am sure would add through their enhanced free flow characteristic to the performance of the car.

My question is; is this correct from a restoration standpoint and/or could this have been a dealer fitted performance option in 1937 ? If the answer is yes for a roadster, might my 37 Phaeton have been fitted with a similar exhaust system ?

kubes40    -- 02-06-2012 @ 6:21 AM
  Dual exhaust was never an option on any '37 Ford. It would detract greatly from the stand point of concourse judging. If memory serves me correctly, dual exhaust is a standard deduction of 15 points.

ford38v8    -- 02-07-2012 @ 12:38 AM
  Mike, Close. Standard is 16 points for duals, plus 2 each if the manifolds are incorrect.

Alan

ravi.avalur    -- 02-07-2012 @ 7:23 AM
  Thank you very much for your responses ... I shall stick with the single exhaust. In your opinions, would a Smithy exhaust pipe (as supplied by Mac) add or detract to the restoration from a concourse standpoint ?

And would performance and sound be greatly enhanced by the addition of a Smithy muffler ?

TomO    -- 02-07-2012 @ 9:43 AM
  A Smithy muffler will cause a 4 point deduction for a wrong muffler. A Smithy muffler would not enhance the performance enough to be noticeable in normal driving, unless the reproduction muffler was constricted in some way. The sound of the Smthy is a personal thing. They are louder than a stock muffler and IMHO sound very nice on a dual exhaust.

The paint color would be a 5 point deduction for the wrong shade, if it is a wrong shade. Color chips never were very accurate when new and after 75 years they have been affected by the environment where they have been stored and may have changed greatly from original.

The serial number or body number do not have information on what color the car was painted originally. You can choose any color that is correct for a 1937 open car and there should be no point deduction on the Concourse. You can also color match your scr*pings, but be aware that they may not be an accurate depiction of the color, due to fading and environmental factor that cause paint to change color.

Here is a link to the Club's judging sheet

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-forms.cfm

You can use it to determine how incorrect items affect your judging score. The V-8 Club judges cars against their original condition when sold. Other clubs do not use this system, they judge the cars condition compared to other cars in its class.

I hope that you are able to enjoy your car soon.

Tom

ravi.avalur    -- 02-10-2012 @ 4:38 AM
  Thank you for all your feedback. Most useful indeed !

Quite clearly, I should stick to the standard muffler for the time being.
Regarding the color I was wondering if Ford of Canada that made this right hand drive car may have had different options. Do we have any source of information on Canadian built cars ?

ford38v8    -- 02-10-2012 @ 3:32 PM
  Ravi, to my knowledge, color options in Canada were the same as the States, but I'm not certain. I do know that (due to Canadian import duty tax), there were a number of Canadian suppliers of parts that were favored over American suppliers, and that those Canadian parts could differ greatly from those that Ford specified in the States. One of the most obvious of these was the Shock Link, sometimes called the Dogbone, which resembles a Model A ford Shock Link. It would be beneficial to you to assemble a scr*pbook of documented Canadian differences as pertains to your car, to present to the Judging Team before your car is judged.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4309