Topic: 6 volt fuel pump

37 Coupe    -- 11-23-2011 @ 9:43 AM
  For a couple of years I have kicked around the project of splicing in a 6 volt electric fuel pump for a backup or priming. really needed one two years ago after a fairly new rebuilt mechanical pump quit on me on a very busy highway with not much room to get out of harms way,was just one mile short of my driveway,had to get AAA rollback to garage to replace pump.Mechanical pump was supposed to be ethanol proof and rebuilt buy one of the gurus but another story. Ebay always shows a few 6 volt Airtex type but always 5-8 psi which is too much I am told for my Stromberg 97.Now Partsamerican shows one that is lower psi like 2-4,has anyone used these successfully? I wonder if it would restrict regular pump flow through? Do I really need a fuel pressure regulator if I used the higher pressure for just priming or to get off highway safely. I plan on using a "normal off" toggle I have and my wiring harness had a wire built in for pump at back by tank. The info from Ebayer has been sketchy at most,one time he described low pressure pump could only be used alone as sole source and not inline with mechanical,now says otherwise.Which would you use or have used as backup? Thank You in advance

supereal    -- 11-23-2011 @ 12:47 PM
  We use the pump sold by C&G (800/266-0470) as 11A-9350. The E6 is 6 volts, E12 is 12 volts. No pressure problems. It is on page 125 of the online catalog www.cgfordparts.com

Old Henry    -- 11-23-2011 @ 1:49 PM
  Here's a 6 volt low pressure (2-4 psi)one from Mac's with fuel filter on sale for $58.75: http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-electric-fuel-pump-6-volt-2-4-lbs-pressure-top-quality-carter-brand-with-in-line-filter-ford-mercury-efp-9350-6c/camid/F30/cp/Q70IB1YG1000069/

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Model B    -- 11-24-2011 @ 7:04 AM
  I have an Airtex E8902 installed on my '40 Ford. I use it for priming and in case I experience another vapor lock. The E8902 pump is a low pressure pump (2 & 1/2 - 4 lbs) made for vintage cars. The label on the pump may state 5-8 lbs., but Airtex assures me that the pump is the lower pressure pump. They are using up the generic labels. I also use a "momentary toggle switch" which is spring loaded to stay in the "off" position when not engaging. You can purchase the Airtex pump from most parts stores.

Here is the link Airtex with information on the E8902 pump:

http://www.showmetheparts.com/airtex/

You may need to click on the Parts Search tab and then enter E8902 in the box.

37 Coupe    -- 11-24-2011 @ 7:39 AM
  I never knew that about the psi,thank you.

35ragtop    -- 11-24-2011 @ 11:54 AM
  Can you guys tell me if the pump can be inline, does the fuel flow through it (being dragged by the mechanical pump) when its not turned on?
Or do you need a short bypass line with non return valve?
thanks
Dave h

Model B    -- 11-25-2011 @ 8:22 AM
  Dave, The Airtex inline pump mentioned above (and most others) are made in such a way that allows the fuel to travel through it without it being turned "on". I use my stock mechanical pump alone most of the time...unless the car has been sitting for a week or so. Then I use my electric pump to prime the carb. A minute or less is enough to get enough fuel to the carb to start. Pat

35ragtop    -- 11-26-2011 @ 12:10 PM
  Thanks Pat,
thats a great help and certainly makes life easier.
Dave

37 Coupe    -- 12-22-2011 @ 12:06 PM
  Model B, Pat? Did you have any issues with the Airtex pump as far as polarity? I bought one and testing it on the bench it will only work negative ground. It is the E 8902 that the Airtex support guy claims is either 6 volt positive or negative ground,but he also states it has an internal diode to prevent it from running if hooked up wrong. Hooking up wrong is only 50-50,but then he says to switch wires and see if that works? I see a similar pump on Ebay that is the same low pressure and it states in red "Negative ground only". All I know this won't work for me,seller says they will exchange for another one but I cannot see how it would work any better.

supereal    -- 12-22-2011 @ 3:43 PM
  The Airtex pump comes with two wires. One, usually red, goes to the positive side (ground) in most old Fords, with the other, usually black, is connected to the switch. I haven't seen any of these pumps where the case wasn't isolated from the motor. The polarity function is to be sure the motor in the pump runs in the right rotation. In any case,do read the instructions that come with the unit.

37 Coupe    -- 12-23-2011 @ 6:22 AM
  The instructions that come with these pumps are generic at best and it shouldn't be that hard. Like you say just two wires a black one and a tan one. As I told the Airtex rep forget the fact that pump is installed wrong in my car,I am holding it my hand at my work bench with an Optima 6 volt in front of me. I place black wire on negative post and tan wire on positive post and pump vibrates,that should mean the pump is suited for 6 volt negative ground. I reverse the wires,the black normally ground wire goes to the positive post and the tan normally positive wire goes to the negative post acting as my hookup should be positive ground and nothing works. again Airtex rep claims this model pump is designated 6 volt positive or negative hookup but has an internal diode to prevent running wrong way if hooked up backwards, backwards should be the positve ground.

Model B    -- 12-23-2011 @ 9:25 AM
  37 Coupe....My tan wire is grounded and the black wire is wired to the toggle switch. My E8902 works fine this way. I am attaching a picture below...this is my '40 Convertible. I have the same set-up on my '32 Standard Cpe. Good luck & Merry Christmas! Pat

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4011