Topic: Prewar 6V System - (+) Ground or (-) Ground?

mdurhan    -- 08-28-2011 @ 12:11 PM
  Howdy, boys:
Are '39 & '40 Fords originally positive or negative ground?
Much obliged.
Mike

RSS    -- 08-28-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  6 volt positive ground

pipo,36    -- 08-29-2011 @ 10:14 AM
  Why (+) on ground, what was the reason?Ford did this in the US and others in UK till about 10 years after ww2. Thank you.

Stroker    -- 08-29-2011 @ 11:25 AM
  Super will probably have a better explanation than this, but if I remember correctly from High School physics, the "exchange of electrons" progresses from negative to positive, and hooking the ground (or "earth-return" as the Brit's call it) to the positive is simply "going with the flow".

In reality, it doesn't make any difference.

supereal    -- 08-29-2011 @ 12:59 PM
  Thanks, Dan. I always supposed that Henry just wanted it that way. The polarity was changed as 12 volts became the standard. When transistors came into being, it was less important, as long as the type matched the circuit (PNP or NPN). In old cars, it is important to observe polarity when hooking up the ignition coil.

Dolman    -- 08-29-2011 @ 2:00 PM
  In the far distant past the description of the direction of current flow was an arbitrary decision and the gurus then accepted "hole flow" as the standard. Hole flow is the result of an atom losing an electron, becomes an positively charged ion, and therefore has a hole that needs to be filled. So, you could say that the ions looking for an electron to restore equilibrium create a current flow. On the other hand those electrons that left their atom are attracted by the ionic atoms and thus there is a current in the opposite direction. So regardless of what we call it, energy is being transfered and in the process does the things that we want done... heat, light, rotation, etc. The Bell Telephone system was still using the positive to negative flow in its schematics into the 1960s. As Stroker and Supereal said, it doesn't make any difference what we call current as long as there is consistency in its applications. Those of us in love with our old Fords know that Henry was stubborn and it was probably inconceivable that he would embrace a new protocol. "Any color they want as long as it's black."
Having done the thinking to write the foreging, I think my neurons have synapsed.

pipo,36    -- 08-30-2011 @ 11:50 AM
  Thank you all to answer my question.LEO

mdurhan    -- 08-30-2011 @ 12:38 PM
  I thank you also.
Mike Durhan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3673