Topic: V8 60 Water Pump Leaking.

Colin    -- 07-09-2011 @ 9:58 AM
  A water pump on my 1937 English Model 62 with the 60 hp engine is leaking. I took the pump off the car, dismanted it, cleaned everything and checked the components. The bearings and shaft show no wear but the flat side of the"plastic"impeller was scored. The rear of the housing where the inpeller runs was good and I cleaned it with emery cloth on the lathe. I was able to find a NOS impeller and spring and reassembled it. First attempt water came out of the front of the hollow shaft so I sealed it with a spot of silicone. It looks as if there was originally a cover over the front of the pulley.Second attempt the pump leaked as originally from the area to the rear of the pulley. I have rebuilt V8 and LZ pumps and they all have a seal but I can't see where the 60hp pump has a seal and can't see one listed in the parts books. I can only assume that the fit of the impeller against the pump housing is the seal. This pump is the tapered fit type. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.

supereal    -- 07-09-2011 @ 10:32 AM
  The 60HP water pumps are odd pieces that depend on a long spring that runs thru the hollow shaft to hold the impeller against the packing. The other end of the spring is secured behind the pully with a washer-type retainer. There is supposed to be a cone shaped cap that covers the front of the pulley. There are two ring shaped gaskets, one inside, and the other between the block and the pump. The last one we worked on was a 60HP installed in a Crosley, of all things. It leaked, regardless of our efforts, so we replaced it with a pump from Little Dearborn (888/282-2066). I don't know if Skip Haney rebuilds those pumps, but you can find out at (941/637-6698). I'm assuming the the English 60 is the same as the US model.

Colin    -- 07-10-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  Super...thank you for your advice. These are indeed strange little pumps. With all your knowledge and expertise you were unable to stop the pump leaking there is not much hope for me!!! I can't see any packing in the pump or anywhere it would fit. Also I can't see it in the parts book exploded diagram. However, logically you would think that there must be a seal or packing somewhere. I have had V8 and V12 pumps rebuilt by Skip and they are superb. I will call him and ask him about 60hp pumps. Thanks.

supereal    -- 07-10-2011 @ 9:09 AM
  Thanks, but I haven't seen that many 60 pumps, but just enough to know they seem to be in a class of their own. Water pumps of every type require special tools and experience to rebuild because it is usually wear on the body casting and bushings that cause the leaks. Unless these parts are refaced or replaced, the whole pump will need to be replaced, and often are. Skip specializes in pumps and is the acknowledged guru of same.

1938cr    -- 07-10-2011 @ 8:39 PM
  I recently had a water pump rebuilt for my 60hp motor. It is my understanding that the pump seal is created by the fit between the impellor and the rear of the pump body. The rebuilder I used laps the seal to achieve this. Even with that amount of preparation he said it could take a couple hundred miles to properly seat. I was lucky mine did not leak. CR

Colin    -- 07-29-2011 @ 9:14 AM
  Thanks to the assistance on this forum I resolved the problem. As 1938cr pointed out the seal is the impeller working against the rear pump body. I checked the rear pump body and it had about .007" of uneven wear. I had a local machine shop grind .008" of the surface and reassembled it but it still leaked slighly. So I placed a fairly weak additional spring between the rear of the pulley and the bearing surface and no leaks so far. I thought that this might be of interest to others. Thanks to all for your assistance.

37 Coupe    -- 07-29-2011 @ 9:29 AM
  I just recently checked out a 60 hp engine that had a front cover that was the third type made and last I think,from 37 book info. The seats in the last edition cover were made for the flat seat type water pumps but on this engine someone had the correct pump on one side and the tapered type seat on the other side,must have leaked everything out instantly! I bet back in the day as now there was a lot of confusion and frustration ,someone buys a 60 h.p. water pump not knowing more than one variation was built. Ford garage mechanics would have known this but probably the home garage guys more than once had to return to get the correct pump. I have seen 60 hp water pumps on Ebay for years and never recognized this until I got the 37 book,had the 39 book but never paid attention to it. Was not a yearly changeover either,like the third change was late in the 37 year.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3366