Topic: 47 clutch chatter

Leonard    -- 11-15-2010 @ 4:50 PM
  Resurfaced flywheel - new disc and pressure plate, throw out etc. Still chatters. Can you give me some basic suggestions? Thank you.

ford38v8    -- 11-15-2010 @ 9:02 PM
  Leonard, Not that a chatter would necessarily result, but I hope you had your flywheel balanced with pressure plate installed?

Chatter is caused primarily by engine bounce under load. Replace both front and rear mounts and cinch them down till the rubber begins to expand in the cups. Anti chatter rods were installed on the early V8s, but discontinued, not sure when, maybe 1949?

Alan

TomO    -- 11-16-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  Alan gave you good advice. Your problem may be due to a deteriorated rear transmission/motor mount.

If your mounts are in good shape, your technique may need updating. Set your idle to 450-500 rpm and then let the clutch out until it just starts to grab, then press on the accelerator pedal as you let the clutch out the rest of the way.

Anti-chatter rods do little to control clutch chatter and the factory discontinued installing them with the 1946 models.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-16-2010 @ 9:45 AM
  If you are driving mostly in flat country, try starting out in second gear. It will reduce clutch chatter significantly. Unfortunately, clutch chatter is the product of the torque tube design which transfers the "push" of the rear axle directly to the motor mounts. This movement is then amplified by the clutch linkage. Like oil leakage and a tendency to run hot, chatter is a long standing Ford legacy. Henry Ford embraced resistance to change all his life, and the torque tube and transverse springs that spanned the Model T through the '48s is ample proof.

oldford2    -- 11-16-2010 @ 2:30 PM
  In addition to checking/changing your motor mounts, check your rear spring schackles and snug up the spring U bolts. Plus, like Supereal said, clutch engagement can eliminate some chatter. When we first got our 46 the clutch chattered. When my wife drove it, no chatter!! Realized she was "slipping" the clutch. John

Old Henry    -- 11-16-2010 @ 3:30 PM
  I'm with Supereal and OldFord42. I have new everything to do with the clutch and still, if I don't engage it just right, I still get a bit of chatter, especially in reverse. And, it seems to come and go over time. I think it's right in there as one of the natures of the beast.

Still Old Henry

Leonard    -- 11-17-2010 @ 6:59 AM
  Thank y'all for all the excellent information. Now I have enough information to proceed.
Much obliged, Leonard

42wagon    -- 11-17-2010 @ 9:30 AM
  Tom
I believe that Henry did away with the anti-chatter rods earlier than 46, like maybe 39 or 40. At least my 42 does not have them and there is no sign that they ever were there.

What is there is a metal strap and threaded rod going from the crossmember behind the transmission to a yoke bolted to the bell housing. AKA the "slingshot". Western Auto probably sold thousands in the 40s. It seems to have no effect on the clutch chatter but is great for starting discussions at tire kicking sessions.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2180