Topic: 1935/1936 Ford Heaters

36fordor    -- 12-02-2016 @ 9:26 AM
  Had one of the new aftermarket 7" cube 6 volt hot water heaters installed in my restored 36 Fordor some years ago. Works well.

Installer cut through the cardboard/vinyl? panel & insulation on the firewall & installed directly against metal firewall. I think heater should have gone on top of firewall panel inside car. Would have been neater. Comments?

Now wanting heater for nice 35 coupe & looking at options. What year was first for Ford dealer heater options? Any possible member sources for late 30s early 40s serviceable Ford heaters?

Thanks.

ford38v8    -- 12-02-2016 @ 10:57 AM
  You most likely won't find a correct Hot Air Heater for your '35. Originals turned to rust over the years, and no reproductions were made.

'39 was first year for Hot Water Heaters, but dealers had them before new model release date, and the heads on the '38's were drilled/tapped to receive them.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 12-02-2016 @ 11:52 AM
  I think I would look for an aftermarket hot water heater such as the Arvin. Google "Arvin hot water heater". Here is a picture: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157694

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 12-2-16 @ 11:53 AM

Sneezer    -- 12-02-2016 @ 12:03 PM
  There are some great Art Deco heater listed on Ebay. They have a Period appearance that is appropriate for your era of car and actually work very well providing plenty of heat. Some are more elaborate than the one I have one in my 35 coupe

keith oh    -- 12-02-2016 @ 3:21 PM
  You cannot beat Southwind gasoline heaters. They start heating immediately, easy to install, take up small amount of space,have a nice art deco look and use very little fuel. Now we will hear they are dangerous. I am 84, my father was a Ford dealer in the 30s and 40s and 50s, I have never heard of a fire from one and as a matter of fact they were used in aircraft, (the very worst vehicle to have a fire in),I had two different planes with them installed. Believe me the danger from CO poison with hot air heaters is much, much greater.

36fordor    -- 12-02-2016 @ 9:16 PM
  Appreciate the comments. What are the thoughts on whether heater should go next to firewall or on top of firewall panel?

Have NOS Southwind (very rare) I might consider.

flatheadfan    -- 12-02-2016 @ 10:41 PM
  I have a '35 and a '36 both have Arvin water heaters.. In both cases I mounted the heater on top of the insulation but, not exactly a direct contact. If you mount the heater directly on the firewall board you will have a difficult time tightening the heater to the firewall without having the panel board rip. Nor, will the heater be rock solid to the firewall. Rather than do that I took a piece of 1/4" wood covered it in spray truck bed liner (gives a pebble finish) and attached it to the car using existing firewall holes. This gives a sold mount without damaging the firewall padding.

Hope this helps.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 12-02-2016 @ 10:45 PM
  Finished picture

flatheadfan    -- 12-02-2016 @ 10:57 PM
  One last thing you might want to consider. I control the temperature of the heater output with a variable shut-off connection (Amazon approx $15). It is cable controlled from inside the car.

Tom

GK1918    -- 12-03-2016 @ 12:29 AM
  Beats me why someone would cut the cardboard insulation, I just put one
in my 46 cardboard template step drill done. I also had a 4dr 36 yrs ago
with a south wind and I can still smell my rubber boots burning.
I remember just about every vehicle had a Arvin . Sam

ken ct.    -- 12-03-2016 @ 5:09 AM
  I use a "HA-DEES" brand one. works fine easy install. Put the hot water "T" hose fitting closest to the water pump (where the hottest water is) then the thermostat above and after the T fitting (not before the T). You will get good hot water through theheater core. omo ken ct.

TomO    -- 12-03-2016 @ 7:19 AM
  The heater needs space behind it so the fan can draw air to blow through the core. You should never cut the the noise insulator or mount the heater without some space behind it. The Ford hot water heaters came with spacers on the bolts to allow for this space.

The newer heaters that draw outside air for heating should be mounted against the insulator.

The gasoline heaters produce CO and should be used with a window open slightly or another source of fresh air.

Tom

36fordor    -- 12-03-2016 @ 10:25 AM
  Thanks, appreciate all this. What does "cardboard template step drill done" mean?

kubes40    -- 12-03-2016 @ 1:54 PM
  I would stay away from a Southwind as they are inherently unsafe. I know there's been a NOS one on eBay numerous times for something stupid like $600. I suppose it's nice to dream...
Anyway, if you really want one, be just a tad patient as they show up frequently on eBay for a lot less money. A lot less.

36fordor    -- 12-04-2016 @ 11:28 AM
  Appreciate all the comments. Tom, really like your treatment. Makes a lot of sense for mounting. Also gives me a 2nd chance on my 36 to make neater installation. Although my firewall interior cover/insulation was cut through I can cover with a slightly larger plywood piece as you did & improve mounting & finished appearance.

Thanks to everyone.

Ernie

40cpe    -- 12-04-2016 @ 2:41 PM
  What does "cardboard template step drill done" mean?

I can only speculate that punctuations were left out. I THINK he means the used a cardboard template, a step drill, and was done.

keith oh    -- 12-05-2016 @ 11:38 AM
  GK1918 Maybe you should have moved your rubber booted foot!!

keith oh    -- 12-07-2016 @ 2:12 PM
  Kubes 40, I am interested in where you get your information on the safety of Southwind heaters. I have had one in at least 5 cars and 2 airplanes over the last 60 years with not one incident. I have one in my 35 Ford right now so if I took your advice should remove it even though it has served me so well.

jwitt    -- 12-09-2016 @ 5:24 PM
  New Southwind heaters are still available here: http://southwindheater.com/Home.html

Lots of info on the site. As far as CO goes, you are sitting behind a large CO producer, so hope the exhaust system is well sealed. The Southwind heater has an exhaust pipe to dump combustion products to the outside.

In any combustion powered vehicle, it's good to have a CO detector. I had one save me and my family once when running an external (15 ft away) genset near my camper. The light wind changed during the night and exhaust was entering through the open cowl vent.

John

Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed.

wmsteed    -- 12-14-2016 @ 9:34 AM
  My '36 has a '39 Ford hot water heater in it. The '39 heater was in the car when I bought the car in 1952. The '39 heaters fit the space on the cowl which means they can be mounted in the correct position, vertically..
Obviously the guy that installed your heater, cutting away the firewall insulation pad did not know what he was doing.
I have attached a pix of the heater in my car..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10317