Topic: Older V8 Times Magazines

Bob56    -- 11-24-2016 @ 1:44 PM
  Are these worth anything? Have all issues from Jan 1982 thru July/Aug 2004 except Nov/Dec 1982 and Mar/Apr 2002

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 11-24-2016 @ 4:51 PM
  As Web Administrator, I get several questions a year about where someone can get back issues of the V-8 TIMES. So, i believe they do have value.
May I suggest that you place a For Sale classified ad on this site and see what happens.

Web Administrator

mike1    -- 01-20-2017 @ 12:19 PM
  are these early ford v-8 copies 6/yr?? if so do you have complete year for 1989??

Mickey1099

ken ct.    -- 01-20-2017 @ 12:41 PM
  I have complete yrs from 1970 to present but will not break up the set to sell 1 yr. out of it I would sell 1970 to 1989. That's 114 issues @ $3 each = $ 342. / Would take $300 plus you pay for media shipping which is much cheaper than regular mail. Probebly be 2 large boxes , 50 some issues to a box.???? ken ct. cell 1-203-260-9780

kubes40    -- 01-20-2017 @ 12:43 PM
  Bob56,

I sold every issue I had last year, well, the ones that received bids anyway, on eBay. I started with ads that included the entire year and typically, the envelopes they came in. All were "as new". I had them 1967 to 2017. I started the auctions at $1 for all six issues and shipping at cost.
Very few sold. The very early years did sell for the most part but never realized more than a buck or so for each.
The ones that didn't sell, I gave away. At least someone will enjoy them.
I laugh at the ads I see that collections for upwards of $300+. My guess are these are guys that have been "out of touch" with the modern market.

supereal    -- 01-20-2017 @ 1:46 PM
  My "library" of the V8 TIMES fills several shelves in my office and began in 1975. The Club membership annual roster used to have an index to topics in back issues, but I haven't seen it for a while. The TIMES has many very valuable articles dealing with repairs and other questions regarding our old Fords. I don't know if a separate index is valuable, but would be great to have. As us old coots go to the "garage in the sky", much of the info goes with us. I use my collection to fill in the increasing gaps in my ancient memory.

kubes40    -- 01-20-2017 @ 2:37 PM
  Hey Super,

When I advertised my issues on eBay, the rosters were included with the respective years. Still, little to no interest, even at $1 per complete year.
I think there are simply too many collections "out there" to make these have any significant monetary value.

trjford8    -- 01-21-2017 @ 8:07 AM
  I agree that back issues do not have a lot of value. One of the things you can do with back issues is donate them. Our older generation who are in nursing homes or veteran's facilities would probably enjoy them immensely and it will bring back a lot of memories for them. The other thing you can do is give them to young people who are just getting started in the hobby. It can have a great impact on keeping the hobby alive. When you go to a car show you can hand them out to potential new members or kids who are at the show with parents or grandparents. Good PR for the Club and it generates some great conversation. I also belong to "Goodguys" and I take those magazines to the doctor's office. Guys need something to read besides "People" magazine or "Good Housekeeping". It's funny because when I go for the next visit the "Goodguys" mag is gone but the old "People" and "Good Housekeeping" are still there. I mentioned this to my doctor one day and he said that the good magazines somehow "grow legs" and walk out of the office. Anyway just some ideas on what to do with your old V-8 Times.

MG    -- 01-21-2017 @ 8:31 AM
  trjford8 - Ecellent suggestions!

juergen    -- 01-21-2017 @ 1:45 PM
  I tried to send old magazines via media mail and the post office said they don't qualify because they have advertising in them. With weights over 20 pounds, I find FedEx or USPS cheaper. And I, like Kube, got about $5 per year.

woodiewagon46    -- 01-21-2017 @ 1:50 PM
  I save all my magazines throughout the "off season", and when I attend one of the larger car shows I place them on the tailgate of my "Woodie" and offer them to people for free. I figure it's one way to promote interest in our hobby. On the subject of donating them, I tried several places in my area to donate hundreds of auto related magazines and was told that they could not accept them for "liability" issues. I guess someone would get a paper cut and sue them!

This message was edited by woodiewagon46 on 1-21-17 @ 1:53 PM

trjford8    -- 01-21-2017 @ 4:47 PM
  I wonder what liability issue arises when you give someone a car magazine to read? Unbelievable. My doctor doesn't see a liability issue when I leave my magazines at his office. I think if someone told me that, I would ask them to tell what exactly was the liability. This liability stuff has gone over the edge. The biggest liability is too many lawyers.

Chascwell2    -- 01-21-2017 @ 5:20 PM
  I Take car magazines to the hospital, Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Good Guy Gazette and V/8 Times. I am told that the V/8 times gets stolen first. The Times promotes the club and is good advertising for us

chascwell

oldasi    -- 01-22-2017 @ 5:22 AM
  Ive always felt they are worth there weight in gold however the cost to ship them is equal to gold.
I have probable 95% of the issues, a number of duplicates so if you're looking drop me a note

Bob56    -- 01-23-2017 @ 3:19 AM
  Thanks for all the replies. Donation sounds like the right way to go

JohnA    -- 01-26-2017 @ 2:43 PM
  I"m 10 years from going into retirement home,I'll give you $50.oo and I pay shipping to New York state.John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10300