Topic: rear brakes

JohnA    -- 08-30-2016 @ 5:56 AM
  on my 48 Ford 2dr sedan,to release brake shoes from drum,would I turn big nut with heavy spring counter-clockwise,located on backing plate.Also my starter is stuck on,which I assume is not releasing because of return spring in starter,because of where it"s parked ,not much room to get under car. Woa is me.John

len47merc    -- 08-30-2016 @ 8:22 AM
  On the brake shoes: There should be two 11/16" hex heads on each backing plate - 1 for each brake shoe. To release the shoes so that you can remove the drum, on the passenger side, the front hex head should rotate counter-clockwise, the rear clockwise. On the driver's side the reverse. If the shoes are fairly worn you may likely have to rotate the hex heads up to 90 degrees in the proper direction to fully rotate the eccentric adjuster fully away from the shoe.

Steve

JohnA    -- 08-30-2016 @ 9:22 AM
  tks.John

cliftford    -- 08-30-2016 @ 5:52 PM
  It helps to spray these hex adjustments with WD40 or similar lube. Sometimes they are rusted up and pretty tight

CharlieStephens    -- 08-30-2016 @ 6:29 PM
  What is the whole story, was the car parked a long time with the emergency brake on allowing the shoes to rust to the drums?

Charlie Stephens

JohnA    -- 08-31-2016 @ 5:51 AM
  No,not really.I just moved it a month ago,about two blocks.

TomO    -- 08-31-2016 @ 9:29 AM
  Your brakes may be OK. If your starter is stuck, put the car in 3rd gear and try to rock and push it backwards. You may need to get help doing this. When the starter breaks loose, you will hear a loud bang, don't worry, you most likely did not break anything.

When you get a chance, make sure that there is a bracket from the oil pan to the bolt on the starter and that the bolts are tight.

Tom

JohnA    -- 08-31-2016 @ 1:17 PM
  10-4 Tom.I only have first gear at the moment because the linkage is all scr*w*d up,that"s my next project once I get home ,to rebuild linkage.John (arn"t old cars wonderfull)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10033