Topic: Engine Colors

johnmyron    -- 06-16-2015 @ 5:35 PM
  Reassembling flathead for 48 F-1. Know the correct engine color and have some on hand. Believe the oil pan is engine color? Not sure about the crank pulley and water pump pulleys-are they engine color or black?

51f1    -- 06-16-2015 @ 6:24 PM
  What I got from the truck adviser at least 15 years ago is that everything on the engine is red except the thermostat housings, the dip stick tube, the breather tube and bracket, the generator bracket, generator and pulley, fan bearing, fan pulley and fan. They were all painted black. The crankshaft pulley and the oil pan on my truck are red, I can't swear that any of this is correct, but I did get it from the adviser. Surely information on how the car engines were painted is readily available ('49 - '52). The truck would be painted the same except substituting the red for whatever the automobile engine color was.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 6-18-15 @ 6:14 PM

johnmyron    -- 06-17-2015 @ 8:13 AM
  Including the pulleys?

ford38v8    -- 06-17-2015 @ 11:56 AM
  As a general rule (not specifically for the 48 /f1), the engine assembly including transmission, minus bolt-ons would be engine color. In other words, the block and all parts that encase the blocks internals. (Water pumps encase, but the pulleys do not.) Notable exceptions would be aluminum parts. Machined surfaces after paint,meaning no gasket edges would show paint. Cast iron heads, intakes, water pumps, and transmission would have been painted separately. Shift, clutch, and water pump shafts would be masked or assembled after paint. Oil sender threaded hole plugged.

Alan

51f1    -- 06-18-2015 @ 6:08 PM
  See my revised reply above.

Richard

51f1    -- 08-02-2015 @ 4:07 PM
  The transmissions were black. Mine had a number stenciled on top (remote shift) in yellow.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=8630