Topic: 48 Questions

johnmyron    -- 05-19-2015 @ 8:50 AM
  Have stripped a 48 F-1 down to the frame and starting over. Have some engine and transmission questions:
1. Can't find oil pan illustration that matches what I have in the parts manual. Mine has the big cleanout flange on the bottom, with the drain plug in the middle-anybody know why?

2. Is oil pan engine color or black?

3. Has the 4 speed spur gear transmission. Would like to find a 3 speed synchro and drive shaft for same. Any ideas there?

DD931    -- 05-20-2015 @ 8:57 AM
  Re: 4 speed to three speed swap - this can be done (I did it about ten years ago) with dramatic improvement in drivability. You will need to get an open drive tranny, different driveshaft and different rear tranny mount. All this stuff is available, but you will need to do some searching. I would start by contacting Chuck's Trucks in CT. He advertises in the V8 Times.

TomO    -- 05-22-2015 @ 7:06 AM
  You have the 8RT-6675-B oil pan. I believe that this was the standard oil pan for the 48 trucks. My 48-56 Truck Chassis Parts catalog has an illustration on page 182 of the Illustrations Catalog.

You will have to check with a truck guy for the oil pan color, but I believe it was painted black in 1948. There were a lot of changes in the 49-53 era as far as painting the engine and its parts, so I am not really sure when they took place.

Tom

51f1    -- 05-22-2015 @ 8:27 AM
  Quite often the drawings used in the truck parts manual are actually car parts. This may be confusing sometimes. The trucks had a clean-out on the bottom of the oil pan. The cars didn't. To make it worse, the gasket sets sold for the trucks did not have the gaskets for the clean-out. The gasket is now available.

My research at the time (early 2000s) showed that the oil pan was painted red (engine color) on '48 - '52 models.

Richard

johnmyron    -- 05-22-2015 @ 5:10 PM
  Thank you-the pan also has a bracket at the rear with a couple of 5/16" tapped holes. What were these for?
Also think this block was swapped our with a 49-52 car block as it had the bronze paint on the block.
Thanks again for the great info-it seems to come dearly for these trucks

51f1    -- 05-24-2015 @ 7:16 AM
  Bolts used to attach the bell housing to the engine screw into the bracket on the bottom of the oil pan. This was probably necessary due to the tight clearences.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=8537