Topic: 38 ford truck windshield adjustment

strange    -- 04-29-2015 @ 7:06 AM
  Hello,

Now that the weather is better I managed to get my 38 ford panel out on the road and I noticed that the windshield crank mechanism appears to be out of adjustment. The regulator isn't pulling the mechanism and the windshield all the way tight against the frame. Which means she is really leaking right now. Anyone have any insight on how to adjust these? How many panels do I need to remove before I even get to it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Christopher

nelsb01    -- 04-29-2015 @ 11:22 PM
  Your panel should be very similar to a pickup truck -- the windshield hinges are located behind the inspection panels (where the windshield wiper unit is). I would check these first. The crank out regulator has very little adjustment where it attaches to the top of the dash. But the concentric gearing does wear out.
If you want to look at that, you will need to remove the upper dash panel (where the crank handle comes out).
The question is -- have you replaced the windshield gasket? If so, the problem is that the gasket manufacturer measured the outer measurement of the sample they used to make the mold, and that means that the windshield gasket is a 'little' too big to close properly. Many owners will tell you that they spent many hours with a dremil tool grinding off the new gasket to make the windshield close tightly.
Hope this gives you some information.

strange    -- 04-30-2015 @ 5:03 AM
  Thank you. I'll take a look at the upper hinges, but the issue is at the bottom. The mechanism isn't pulling the bottom of the windshield tight against the frame. I can crank it as tightly as I can and it won't pull back any further. I was looking at pictures of the mechanism and I agree I didn't see much in the way of adjusting it, but I was hoping that there would be something that would make it pull the window in tighter. I had a guy install vintage air for me and I could have sworn that the window pulled back more before that. I've got another rubber seal to replace the one that is currently on the windshield. I'm going to take off those panels and inspect it this weekend if the weather permits. If I figure out any adjustments I'll post them to the thread.

nelsb01    -- 04-30-2015 @ 6:31 AM
  There are 'new' crank out regulators that are available. You may find that your gearing is worn so that it doesn't pull closed like it used to.

Caution: the screws that Henry Ford used to attach the regulator to the bottom of the windshield frame can and are very prone to rusting so that they will be damaged easily when trying to remove.

strange    -- 05-01-2015 @ 10:34 AM
  Thank you. Someone also helpfully pointed me to a thread about a 39 adjust question. Should be about the same.

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7524&keywords=windshield

We'll see this weekend.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=8455