Topic: 35 pickup

oldasi    -- 03-01-2015 @ 4:24 PM
  Friend of mine bought a basket case, typical started by Joe then Bob bought it did some take part work, then got to busy so Harry bought it took items apart and put in boxes then he got married and sold it to my friend. My friend recognizes he's not capable to finish it, I’ve got my own projects so he took it into a shop where things are not going well. Vehicle was brought into shop, rolling chassis, bare block with oil pan on it, pistons in place, no intake manifold no heads, my friend has no history about engine. Transmisson, dr shaft and rear end in place. Shop has just cleaned top of pistons, clyd walls and cleaned out valley under intake manifold and feels he'll continue to assemble. Im trying to prepare my friend that he should be looking for an engine, he wants a 100 hp flat head, mildly modified, perhaps tri carbs, that sort of thing. Any suggestion of yr of motor, Ford or Merc, wants stock transmission etc. He has found out that he's missing a top strip above the dash and below the windshield and I think I may have found that for him, waiting to hear, if you might have such let me know please. Got an estimate of $4000.00, then shop changed the $4 to $5, then wanted another $5 and now says another $6 will do it, the only thing shop has done is made up seats and door panels,nice job I might say, was going to have shop redo a seat for a '72 Chev pickup but what Ive seen how this truck is going I'm staying away. So again, any suggestion for an engine and do you know who might have one for sale. Am willing to do an engine for him but thats all. Have done a few 60 and 100 hp engines myself so think I can help him there

TomO    -- 03-02-2015 @ 7:28 AM
  A 59A (48-48 100 HP Ford and Mercury) are the easiest to fit into the 35 Chassis, other than the original engine, and will give him the HP that he wants. Many speed accessories are available for this engine. The later 8BA engines will also fit the chassis, but will require an adapter and other changes to work.

He should plan on changing the transmission and rear end ratio as most trucks had crash boxes and stump pullers.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=8265