Topic: ignition switch

PeterFord    -- 12-05-2014 @ 7:04 PM
  51 F1 Ford pickup. My truck stopped on the street. Just stopped. It would crank, but not start. Went thru the whole fuel protocol. Checked for flow from tank. Replaced fuel filter. I believe electric fuel pump is functioning. Sounds like it. Then, replaced points and condenser. Still won't start. Now have the ignition switch out but I don't know how to remove the cylinder from the lock housing. Any help? I have ordered a new housing. Many thanks. Peter

cliftford    -- 12-05-2014 @ 8:17 PM
  There are several possibilities beside the switch. Get a Motors, Chilton, or similar manual that covers your truck and go through the entire ignition system.

PeterFord    -- 12-06-2014 @ 5:01 AM
  how do I remove the cylinder from the lock housing?

DD931    -- 12-06-2014 @ 6:58 AM
  This is from memory since I'm on the road - There is a pin on the side of the switch assembly near the end of the cylinder. With the key in the lock turn it left to the ACC position - then push the pin in and the assembly will come out. It's not hard. The trick is having the key in the right position to allow the pin to be depressed. Let us know if this works.

PeterFord    -- 12-06-2014 @ 12:19 PM
  Excellent! Bravo! It worked. Many thanks.

Peter

DD931    -- 12-06-2014 @ 7:48 PM
  I love a happy ending!!

PeterFord    -- 12-10-2014 @ 6:08 PM
  Well, the problem turned out to be my ignition coil. I had put a new one in two years ago. But it went bad. Last thing I thought of. Now everything's fine. I installed a new one.

Peter

51f1    -- 12-20-2014 @ 7:07 PM
  I would have suggested the ignition coil if I had been keeping up and reading the postings. Glad you got it fixed.

Richard

supereal    -- 12-21-2014 @ 1:48 PM
  I carry a long clip lead wire in my "road kit" that makes an excellent "crutch" to get home. It can be used to feed the coil directly, or to bypass other parts of the electrical system. If you are not familiar with the system in your vehicle, obtain and include a diagram in your road kit, along with screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers, and roll of tape.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=7978