Topic: 41 1/2 ton 6 vs V8

CamMan    -- 08-25-2014 @ 12:56 PM
  I am building a '41 V8 1/2 ton pickup from several different trucks, one 41 and a couple of 40's. The '41 originally had the G series 6 in it, but I didn't get the motor, so decided to build it as a V8. I have seen some of the previous discussions on differences, but I have some concerns about the hood latching and reinforcements around the hood area. Many of the changes from the '40 were made to accommodate either the v8 or the 6, e.g. the deeper front crossmember and the mounts for the radiator. My '41 also has differences in the hood latching mechanism for the longer 6. Was this modification used on the V8 as well? It looks like some of the stiffening around the front end may also have been different. It would be helpful if someone with a '41 V8 could post some photos around the hood latch, grill and front portion of the engine. If you have photos you could post, I would certainly appreciate it. If this is not clear, I could post some photos showing the differences I'm talking about.
Thanks,
Larry Young
Tulsa, OK

trjford8    -- 08-27-2014 @ 5:29 PM
  Why don't you purchase the 40-41 pickup book reprinted by the V-8 Club for $10? It will answer a lot of your questions.

CamMan    -- 08-28-2014 @ 8:41 AM
  I ordered it when I saw it mentioned in the last magazine. I received it 2 days ago. It explains all this stuff. It looks like the '41 V8 used the same brackets as the '40. Not sure how the different hood ornament lever will work, but I'm sure I can work it out.

Now I have a question about color. I know the grill should be body color, but what about the hood latching brackets - the piece inside the hood and on top of the grill? Also, what color are the radiator shroud side pieces? These are probably the same as '40 standard, but I seem to have misplaced my '40 book.
Larry Young

trjford8    -- 08-28-2014 @ 3:18 PM
  Larry the side pieces by the radiator should be semi-gloss black. The hood latching brackets should be body color. I have an original 41 upper bracket with the original Lochaven green paint.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=7659