Topic: whats missing and where can I get one

bkewin    -- 03-31-2012 @ 7:00 AM
  http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/bkewin/?action=view¤t=f7d2a68d.jpg

I've looked thru a few books and catalogs and can't find this inspection cover or whatever it is. It doesn't look or feel like anything is broken off.
I'll be cleaning this all up today so that I can see where the oil is coming from. Some came from a loose oil filter top, some came from a loose oil filter bung. Bung on the pan needs tightening too.
Getting a little fordomatic fluid now as well after my 100 mile run. Hope I didn't ruin anything running it exposed like this.

this is a 1953 I guess 8rt with eab heads etc, 239 w fordomatic.
Thanks folks,

Bill

This message was edited by bkewin on 3-31-12 @ 7:23 AM

TomO    -- 03-31-2012 @ 9:34 AM
  You need to give us a better description of the problem and the photo. It is hard to tell what part of the running gear is shown in the photo.

Tom

bkewin    -- 03-31-2012 @ 10:10 AM
  ok, this is one the drivers side of the block. just above the flywheel cover. can you see where the flywheel and ring gear is exposed? there are a couple of bolt holes and it looks like either part of the bell housing is missing or there is an inspection cover that goes here. I can't find such a thing in either the 1948-1954 chassis parts and accessories catalog nor in the 1953 ford truck shop manual. the picture is what I see leaning in over the driver side fender looking down towards the tranny.

sorry i wasn't more clear.

Bill

supereal    -- 03-31-2012 @ 11:01 AM
  I couldn't get your photo to open, but I believe the opening is the converter bolt access, and there should be a cover secured by the bolts. This opening is provided to allow the converter to be unfastened from the flywheel prior to pulling the entire transmission. If yours is missing, a cover can be devised to fit. To post photos, it is best to convert them to JPEG after sizing them down. If you are using Adobe, go to "export file format", and select JPEG. Save in a file that can be accessed by the image attachment" feature on the Forum page. Whomever said "a picture is worth a throusand words" was right on when it comes to helping to solve car problems.

supereal    -- 03-31-2012 @ 11:14 AM
  Bill: Is this what you see? It has been a long time since I pulled a Ford O Matic. The bolts are usually removed at the bottom, rather than thru this port as I earlier stated. This port allows inspection of the converter to flywheel fasteners. I've seen the bolts work loose and cause noise or damage. The early type had screws to hold the plate, while others had clips.

bkewin    -- 03-31-2012 @ 11:20 AM
  let me try here with this jpeg picture so yes supereal,
that is sort of what it looks like, and the purpose is clearly the same, to allow the converter bolts to be loosened. If nothing else I think I can fabricate something to9 replace the cover. Thanks.

This message was edited by bkewin on 3-31-12 @ 11:22 AM

supereal    -- 03-31-2012 @ 3:34 PM
  The principal importance of the cover, other than allowing the converter bolts to be accessed, is to aid the air circulation around the torque converter. Those things do generate considerable heat.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4509