Topic: 1947 ford truck steel front fenders?

Badlatitude    -- 01-09-2012 @ 10:49 AM
  I have two 1947 ford 1.5 ton trucks. One is basically a parts truck and the other is an all original driver. She needs some mild resto work though and bolth of my driver side front fenders are rotted where the running board bolts to the fender. I assumed someone would make a repair panel but I have been un able to locate any.
Im aware the wheel well opening is different on the heavier duty trucks. I assumed we could graft in or cut and re roll the wheel well openings for the 1/2 ton fenders but I can't seem to find them in steel either.

I definatly have no interest in the fiberglass fenders some companys are selling

This message was edited by Badlatitude on 1-9-12 @ 10:50 AM

trjford8    -- 01-09-2012 @ 6:08 PM
  I would remove the fender and go to a good sheetmetal shop . I'll bet they can make you a patch panel. Also run a want ad for a front fender on this site and the Fordbarn. I suspect someone may have what you need.

supereal    -- 01-10-2012 @ 5:31 AM
  I agree with Tom. A good body shop can usually fabricate the parts, if there is sufficient solid metal to support welding. More often, the rust in one area is a sign of overall deterioration, which may make repair less likely. Many of the commercial patch panels I have seen are very light gauge, compared to the original fenders and doors.

Badlatitude    -- 01-10-2012 @ 6:23 AM
  I had hoped some company was making new ones for any of the wheel opening sizes in steel. I thought I remembered a company making steel 1/2 ton fenders but have been un able to find it. I know they can be fixed either by us or a body shop.

rawlir    -- 01-11-2012 @ 4:14 PM
  Howdy!
I don't think anyone is making new front fenders, either metal or fiberglass. There are many buying options for front fenders (not rear) for 42-47 trucks although most are for 1/2 ton models. Front fenders are different from 1/2 ton, tonner, and bigger models.
Have you checked EBay for used front fenders or this site? I have a 1.5 ton truck for sale but I don't want to scalp the fenders off of it. Would be happy to visit with you! Good luck! rickr@lakesideind.com

Badlatitude    -- 01-12-2012 @ 5:41 PM
  I was under the impression only difference in the front fenders was the wheel well opening. Bolth of our trucks are 1947 ford model 79T 1.5 tons.

Its a shame no one makes new steel for theese old gals. I find them to be very good looking and well made trucks. Truck 1 was a single axle tractor and then converted into a tow truck. The 2nd truck was a farm truck its whole life with 28,000 original miles on it

For some reason the forum woun't let me post any photos of the old girls =(

This message was edited by Badlatitude on 1-12-12 @ 5:44 PM

trjford8    -- 01-14-2012 @ 7:36 AM
  Badlatitude, not sure of your location, but there is four 42-47 1 1/2 ton trucks listed on Craigslist. They are in California and listed in the "inland empire" section of California. The seller says they will part them out and they all look complete. Might be worth a look.

Badlatitude    -- 01-16-2012 @ 7:02 AM
  Im in lower connecticut =(

waleeed00    -- 03-20-2016 @ 11:20 PM
  Given the unique status of the 1945 vehicles, that could be tough. Any Ford vehicles manufactured after 1942 until early 1946 were produced with leftover parts and arbitrary numbers, in most cases. Most year and model tables don't list numbers for 1945. In 1942, the letter "C" was used to designate a six cylinder engine in some "special" models. If your truck is a six, that may account for the number.

== www.win-on-slots.com ==

This message was edited by waleeed00 on 3-31-16 @ 11:03 PM

engine    -- 04-04-2016 @ 2:00 PM
  You can try EMS in Cleveland Oh. they have a large supply of sheet metal

adolfainsley8    -- 04-27-2016 @ 10:18 PM
  The pre 1940 engines had a reputation for rusting the steel sides of the block and there is no reliable way to replace them???

waleeed

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4195