Topic: 49 Mercury Carb Flooding

zoopie36    -- 05-29-2016 @ 7:45 PM
  I have been running my 49 Merc with original flathead and original carb. Then the other day I started it up and it ran fine for a few seconds and then started to miss. Gas was coming out the side. I took out the needle valve and cleaned it. Put it back together and still has the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, zoopie

cliftford    -- 05-29-2016 @ 7:50 PM
  Pull out the float and check it for leaks, and for free movement in the bowl .

zoopie36    -- 05-29-2016 @ 7:57 PM
  I did do those. Had no leaks and moved freely. Thanks

cliftford    -- 05-30-2016 @ 7:04 AM
  It sounds like fuel is getting around the needle and seat, maybe due due to looseness , a bad seat gasket, or a crack on the carb. body.

TomO    -- 05-30-2016 @ 7:14 AM
  Did you place the float in a pan of boiling hot water?

To do this, boil some water in a pan deep enough to submerge the float. Once the water starts to boil, turn off the heat and submerge the float in the water. If you float is leaking, you will see a stream of air bubbles come from the leak.

Clean the area around the leak with steel wool or sand paper, get some plumbers solder with tinning compound and flux and apply heat to solder it closed. Recheck the float, as this process can open up new areas. Use as little solder as possible.

You may be able to find a good used one as I don't think that those Holley floats are reproduced.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 05-30-2016 @ 8:07 AM
  I have some Merc floats if you need $10 each plus $7 mailing in small flat rate box. Have many rebuilding parts for the Merc back draft carbs. ken ct. email, pm or cell 1-203-260-5945.

zoopie36    -- 05-30-2016 @ 6:34 PM
  Hi Tom, Thanks for the info. I will try that boiling method but when I take off the top bowl, the float is setting exactly where it should be on top of the gas. Would it do that if it had any holes? Dale

TomO    -- 05-31-2016 @ 7:00 AM
  Dale,

You are probably correct that it isn't the float, but I would still check it to eliminate the possibility.

Exactly where is the fuel leaking from? Make sure that it is not coming from the inlet fitting.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 05-31-2016 @ 7:35 AM
  Do not get to a near boil as you will get bubbles rising from the bottom of pan to confuse you. Just get good and hot. Merc. inlet fittings are notorious for leaking. Their are 2 types of inlet threads some have 1/8" PT and some have a bigger hole with straight thread and very fine thread and is used with a gasket an fitting. Top cover MUST go on correctly . ken ct.

zoopie36    -- 06-01-2016 @ 3:08 PM
  Tom, I start the car and its runs smoothly for a few seconds until it starts to miss due to the flooding. I shut off the motor and look under the hood and the carburetor is leaking gas through the accelerator pump hole. When I take the top off, the carb is full and the float is up to where it should be. zoopie

cliftford    -- 06-01-2016 @ 4:48 PM
  I'm not too familiar with the 49-53 Mercs, but if were a 59AB or older engine, I would suspect high fuel pressure, given that you have checked out everything else.

ken ct.    -- 06-01-2016 @ 5:02 PM
  Could also be the wrong accelerator pump. Mercs used a shorter pump than the 94 AP's. by about 1/4" in length. Ford pumps measure 2.597" Merc ones are 2.400" usa measure. ken ct.

TomO    -- 06-02-2016 @ 7:10 AM
  When you remove the top of the carburetor, is the fuel level 17/32" below the top of the main body? If it is less, the float level is incorrect or the float is leaking.

If the level is incorrect, make sure that the car is on a level surface and use the float level gauge from a rebuild kit to set both floats at the same correct level.

Remove some of the gas and crank the engine to fill the bowl and recheck the level.

Does your needle valve have the rubber tip? If so change it to a steel needle. If you have the valve with rubber in it, change to the steel needle and seat.

Tom

zoopie36    -- 06-02-2016 @ 5:01 PM
  Tom, I finally put the float in hot water and one side goes down. Upon further observation, I did see a bubble coming from the low one. It was actually removing some of the gas that was within the float as it was creating a gas film on top of the water. When I looked at it I couldn't even see a hole! It didn't even feel that there was anything in the float. Thanks everyone for the great test and all of your helpful advice. Now, where can I find a new float. Also my needle valve does have the rubber tip and I need one of those too. Another thing, the needle valve attaches to the float mechanism with a tiny wire with a small clip attached directly to the end of it. Is this necessary? Thanks once again, zoopie

TomO    -- 06-03-2016 @ 7:16 AM
  Look at the replies from KenCT. He says he has the floats and he has been a good source for the needle valves. If you do not have a float gauge from a kit, ask Ken if he has a spare one.

The wire clip is necessary and was added to improve the action of the float and needle valve.

That test for the float is the only sure method of determining if your float is leaking. When they get bad enough, you can shake them and hear the gas, but some like yours affect the operation before they fill with gas.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 06-03-2016 @ 8:09 AM
  Dale, sheet suggests 7/32" float level this is a little high in my opinion = .2188" I use 1/4" setting =.250 seems to work better. A little less gas to slosh around in the main bowl. Believe me you wont run out of gas lol. Hes taken care of Tom thanks for the good words. I can only read posts on the FB cannot reply to any directly but can use the back door approach if I have to. Thanks again for helping this fella out also. ken Isidor ct

zoopie36    -- 06-09-2016 @ 5:52 PM
  I would like to thank everyone for their input. It was very helpful and in the long run, helped me solve my carb problem! Yes, it was the float. A special thanks to "Connecticut" Ken. He supplied me with the float and other important parts plus I also got a NOS rebuilding kit. Threw in some free parts too plus has a lot of expertise in carb rebuilding. I recommend him and he is willing to help with great explanation. Merc is purring as it should. Thanks again. Take care, zoopie36

ken ct.    -- 06-09-2016 @ 11:13 PM
  Thanks for the good words Zoopie, glad you can use the parts I sent you and more so that's the Merc is running as it should. I'll send some more parts that are left over when I retire from all this in Dec. Trying to get rid of all the stock I have before then. I will be at Gettysburg National and Hershey is my last show in Oct. If you need anything carb related let me know. ken ct.

TomO    -- 06-10-2016 @ 6:59 AM
  I am glad we were able to help and that you have your Merc back on the road.

Tom

zoopie36    -- 06-10-2016 @ 6:42 PM
  Thanks again, Tom. I really learned a lot from you and the others through this forum. What a great place for restorers & hotrodders. Do you own a Mercury? Take care, zoopie

TomO    -- 06-11-2016 @ 6:56 AM
  Yes, I own a 40 Mercury Sedan Coupe. There is a photo of it in the Gallery. It is the Como Blue one.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 06-11-2016 @ 8:11 AM
  Totally diff engine as you know. Tom do you have a Chandler-Groves carb on it w/the 91-99 on it. A Ford carb is not correct as you may know. ken ct.

TomO    -- 06-12-2016 @ 9:48 AM
  Ken, the 40 Merc used the Ford carburetor as did the 40 Ford. The Chandler-Groves was used on the late 38 and early 39.

Tom

56MarkII    -- 06-15-2016 @ 11:21 AM
  Keep your eyes on fleaBay as well. Once in a while you will see floats for this carb on there. I always look and got a spare float for my Holley 885 as well as for my Holley Teapot on my 56 Continental. There is also a small helper spring that assists the float on both these carbs.

ken ct.    -- 06-15-2016 @ 1:03 PM
  Mark. why bother epay when I stil have some extra and way cheaper than them also many othet small parts for these carbs. the 885 I mean. ken Isidor ct.

ken ct.    -- 09-22-2016 @ 3:33 AM
  56 mark11 .I have several good floats and many small parts for the 885 carb if you need anything , real cheap as I'm discontinuing my business at the end of the yr.Trying to get rid of ALL stock I have. ken ct. email or pm or cell 1-203-260-5945

ken ct.    -- 09-22-2016 @ 10:28 AM
  Yea Tom O I must have had a brain fart. As a carb builder I know that,thanks for correcting that statement. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9734